Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Well I got the 3 dreaded blinking lights on a PowerMac G5 dual 1.8ghz. Turns out the memory is OK but it's the physical slots that are screwy.

I found that applying pressure to one of the banks gets it to boot with no problem but then I remove that pressure and the Mac freezes :(.

Apple and there cheap solder connections :rolleyes:

added:
Applied even more pressure and now it seems to be working without any pressure on the slots.... hmmmm......

sirN

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2010
Northern CA
Well I got the 3 dreaded blinking lights on a PowerMac G5 dual 1.8ghz. Turns out the memory is OK but it's the physical slots that are screwy.

I found that applying pressure to one of the banks gets it to boot with no problem but then I remove that pressure and the Mac freezes :(.

Apple and there cheap solder connections :rolleyes:

added:
Applied even more pressure and now it seems to be working without any pressure on the slots.... hmmmm......

I just posted about having the same problem. I heard that other folks were experiencing the same thing. I guess I should try your method and see if it works. As far as getting it repaired, any idea what a tech would charge to reset them professionally (if that is the problem)?

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
I use an old fashioned wood ruler to push my ram in Powermac slots.

Maybe it weak girl hands but cleaning out the slots and waiting to hear that "click" is music to my ears.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.