3 Blinks on Start-up, Need Guidance

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by uthscsa19, Feb 27, 2009.

1. uthscsa19 macrumors newbie

Background:

My Macbook Pro recently went into the shop to get its Logic Board replaced. While it was at the store, I decided to order a hard-drive as well as 4gb of ram. I installed the hard drive and memory the day I received my computer back. Everything seemed fine for a few days until I tried to boot up the computer one morning. All I got was a 3 blinks from the led on the screen release button.

Link to Ram type

I looked up what could be causing this, and I found that it was a memory issue. Well, it seems that if I crack open the laptop, remove the memory and reseat it, the laptop starts up fine. This normally gets me anywhere from a few days of use before it does the same again. I'm not sure that its that the memory become unseated though. In one instance, I shut down the computer on my desk and did not move it. The next time I tried starting it up, I got this issue. I have run the Mac Extended Hardware test once with no failures.

I do not know what my next option is. Could it be bad memory? I don't think there is anyway to seat the memory any better than it already is. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. mbradyrn macrumors member

mbradyrn

I installed the same Kingston memory and got the 3 blip LED several times. I thought that I had seated the memory -- it seemed to go in as far as it could -- but I still got the LED warning.

After searching a bit, I found the 'ram' guy's suggestion that I had to seat the memory at an angle to get it to seat correctly. I tried this, and it worked.

I honestly could not see much difference between his way and 'the way I've always done it," but I guess that's why he's the ram guy.

Hope this helps. Mike