3 Computers? Really?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Scartissue, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Scartissue macrumors member

Alright, so I'm getting ready for a buy soon, and my situation has gotten a little strange...

So I'm off to Uni in October, which is great. I've got an Asus EEEPC, which I bought as a basic internet ready cheap notepad for essays in cafes, and other such pretentious humanity student activities.

I was never planning to go for anything apart from my desktop for Uni. However, the thought of lugging a screen and tower started to leave me thinking about how far student loans and the like could get me laptop wise.

And so, as my desktop replacement (keep the PC at home for when I'm back), I settled on a MBP, not sure about 17/15 but i'm sure the answer will come.

Two things have messed it all up. First, the desktop broke down. Hard drive just dead completely, graphics card blown to pieces, and it was due a replacement soon anyway since it was so old.

Then, I've been offered some commissions as a writer for a PCgaming magazine. Which I#m definitely taking. Which means somehow, somewhere, i'm going to need a gaming PC that will last a good few years, and be upgradable.

But I also need that laptop portability for Uni.

Am I missing something, or is my only option to have the gaming PC (hopefully about £500 self-build, then upgrade later), the MBP so that I've got a decent sized screen for essay sessions, and the EEE for taking to lectures and stuff?

If it is, as a student going to University in the UK, what would be the best way to try and save money, in terms of rebates, free ipods, refurbs and the like?
    Phew

Thanks

EDIT: Oh, and I use an LG secret, so might there be a decent phone sycing option either on the Mac or EEE that someone knows about?

2. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

3 computers seems like overkill! :eek:

Why not the desktop and EEEpc only? (Ideally I would have said 13"macbook as your portable unit, and your desktop for game reviews/larger monitor for essays etc, but you have the EEEpc already!)

3. Scartissue thread starter macrumors member

I was thinking that, but its the carrying of the tower to and from Uni. Have to move my stuff out of halls every term.

I'm wondering if throwing some more money into the processor of the 17" MPB might be enough future proofing to just bootcamp Windows instead of a dedicated PC. Until a later date, at least. For screenshots it should really run games at full spec...

4. i0Nic macrumors 65816

I think you should just get the gaming PC and not bother with the macbook pro.

Another option is selling the eee pc and getting a refurbished white macbook for a good price along with a gaming PC that you can leave at home.

5. sanford macrumors 65816

I'm a writer. A few years ago I switched from a desktop Mac to a MacBook Pro (it was then a PowerBook G4) to have just ONE computer to manage. When the original MacBook was release, I switched to that as it was smaller, lighter and had all the features I need -- although it was mainly the keyboard I wanted. Then the MacBook Air was release. At first I derided the Air as insufficient. But I soon discovered there is nothing I want to do professionally the Air can't do well -- and it has that same MacBook keyboard, backlit even. (I'm also a hobbyist musician, requiring FireWire, more storage, etc.: I use the MacBook, passed down as a family computer, connected to a 20" display for that. But you you don't mention such a need, just gaming.)

I also love games. So I have, along the lines of the same needs you have, a MacBook Air and games consoles. The Air is an outstanding tool for students, academic and writers. The consoles, I much prefer playing games on my sofa on a reasonable-sized HDTV than sitting at my desk with a mouse and keyboard, which seems a lot like work to me.

6. DaveF macrumors 6502a

Consider tax rules in your computer selection. It might be that a separate computer dedicated to professional work works to your financial advantage.

7. nastebu macrumors 6502

From my experience, the eeepc would be a poor choice for writing essays. The screen is too small to read back over what you've written and the keyboard too cramped for any writing that isn't email or text message type informational. For writing college essays, you need to be able to draft, brainstorm, re-write, read over what you've just written, copy and paste segments, etc.

I would also think that the eeepc's clattery keyboard and tiny keys would make it very frustrating for taking notes in class.

8. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

Are there any gamer cafe's near your university where you could play/test PC games without actually having to build one? If not, then here are some options:

• Desktop PC in small form factor case with handle for easier moving. + MB - sell Asus eee
    • MBP with bootcamp for gaming (research this for the types of games you'll be playing) + Asus eee
    • PC laptop for gaming/school work (Check out Asus gaming laptops at newegg.com and get a friend from USA to post it to you) + Asus eee?
    • Full sized PC tower, (just get someone to help you move back and forth between home and uni.) and a Macbook - sell Asus eee
    Good luck on whatever you decide. :)

9. Scartissue thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for responces. Guess it comes down to whether I'll be happy with the EEE as my moving notebook or not. I'm pretty comfortable with it for writing (I have a bastardised typing style that suits it perfectly :) ), and it is nice not hearing £1000 knocking against your books instead of £200...

EEE PC and MBA, I at least know makes no sense. Two ultra portables? Quest-que-la-point?

I don't want to lose that screen is my problem. I want to be watching movies etc from my bed across the room. And the MB is just too small for that. Question is though, would the 15" be as bad?

Anyway, so how can I mess with the system? If i call that special institution number for higher education on the apple page, how much extra is that over the regular edu store? If I got that off, then an iPod for ebay at xmas, then a printer....could I scam anything else?

I guess all in all i've got about £2.6k to play with. There must be a way...

10. smogsy macrumors 6502a

or get Imac as desktop replacement and use with boot-camp for pc gaming 24inch

and take it to uni

use eepc in class come back transfer to imac?

imac shouldn't be that hard to move after term

11. iflipper macrumors member

One problem you may have with the Eee is battery life which is quite poor (2-3 hours). I've got a third party extended battery which has improved it considerably but I'd still expect a macbook or macbook pro to outperform it considerably in that respect.

12. Super Intendo macrumors regular

I dont really see the problem. The EEE is fine for casual browsing and writing papers and such when out and about. I plan on getting one at some point down the road (hopefully 10.5 will become installable on the Atom EEE's).

I have a macbook but i'm getting the 15" mbp with the highest graphics card (hoping for updates) for some mild gaming (counterstrike, tf2, etc.) and photo editing.

Then I have my custom built PC (8800 GTS OC, 2GB, 2.14 Ghz [hopefully upgrading that]) which is great for games when i'm at home. (really psyched for spore!)

personally i dont think its too bad of a set up, although eventually i hope to replace my pc with a top of the line iMac...

one question- (although very broad) How'd you get the job and what does it entail. Private message me if you could actually, i was actually just talking to another forumer about game journalism...

edit: oh. i'm now officially a macrumors regular. fantastic.