3-D Modeling & Animation Software?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Bogeyman, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Bogeyman macrumors newbie

Bogeyman

Hi folks,

I'm getting tired of trying to convey true 3-D in Motion 3 and feel very limited. It can't really pull it off. (Or am I missing something.) It'll move a 2-D object in "3-D" space, but sometimes that object needs to have substance. I'm trying to get some input as to what people like. I've asked one of my "bosses" to requisition Maya for me. My intent is to load it onto my Power G5, or, if I end up with the more primitive version, take it for a spin on my MBP, or even my Windows-based AVID editor. (I know I just said a dirty word here.) Don't get me wrong, I like Motion just fine, but sometimes I need more to feed the monster.

Also, are there any suitable alternatives? I've looked into Cinema 4-D a little, but something about Maya's demos really turned me on.

I'd also like to know how well it intigrates with FCS 2.

2. RHD macrumors 6502

I'm starting 3DS in a month and thinking about training in XSI which at the moment for me means going to Canada.

These are both Windoze programs so I'm waiting for the new MBP (see the list of us on another thread) in the hope of a graphics card upgrade before going for a new Laptop and running it on Bootcamp or Parallels.
    If you are on a Mac Pro you don't have to worry as you can upgrade graphics cards if you need to.

I'm not in love with Maya because of it's horrible learning curve but there is a free learning edition I think so you can try that and decide for yourself.

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Yep, it can produce some great 3D models, animation and renders. It also has compositing features as well which is an added plus.

Don't be put off by the fact that it is free, it has features which rival Maya, 3D Studio Max and others.

5. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

modo is a great mac orientated 3d package that im currently looking into (currently a maya user) has a very simple interface, and it isnt a port like the others from windows or linux. Its downside is it isnt an animator, just modelling and rendering but you can import animation from another package, it also has 3d sculpting, offered only really by zbrush on the mac (and their mac support is awful - still waiting for the update, seems like it was out a year ago now for win)

6. kannonbal macrumors member

You guys should check out Cheetah 3D.

It may not do volumetrics or particles, but it is a really powerful piece of software. There is a very alive forum, the developer is very active in updating and improving the software, and you can't beat the price.

you can find it here

Cheers, Chuck

7. Bogeyman thread starter macrumors newbie

Bogeyman

OK, I've dropped my free copy of Blender into my MBP (As well as my windows-based Toshiba, which, it turns out is very well equipped to handle this program.) and am having a ball just playing with it. My boss is still gonna grab me a copy of Maya. I think I have more than enough to play with for a while... and still try to get real work done. If youz all have any pointers with regards to Blender and some of its add-ins, I'd love to hear'em. Please, try to explain it as though your were describing it to your grandmother though.

You guys rock. I never would have found this.

8. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

Maya has a fully-featured "Personal Learning Edition" that you can download and run on your mac for as long as you like. You're not allowed to produce commercial product with it and your animations are all watermarked, but it's a great way to get a feel for the program and decide if the full version is the way you eventually want to go.

9. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Here is a full set of Blender tutorials in both video and PDF format. Follow the learning units and you will learn loads.

http://www.gryllus.net/Blender/3D.html

10. RHD macrumors 6502

Have you tried using Blender?
    It might be free but is it worth it?

11. faustfire macrumors 6502a

faustfire

If you are working with mostly motion graphics/video based projects, I would go with C4D. It integrates better than any other 3d program with a whole host of compositing programs. It also has one of the mellowest learning curves around, by far.

12. Bogeyman thread starter macrumors newbie

Bogeyman

Faustfire:

Is that C4D you used in your online demo reel? I've actually seen some good stuff out of that program. Some colleagues out in CA sent me a departmental vid with some C4D stuff on it about a year ago. Oddly, it was that one little 10 sec clip that started this whole thing for me. I could just get 'em all, I suppose. After all, it's your tax dollars! Chuckles...

13. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Yes, very much so.

This is an example of a scene made in Blender to show what it is capable of.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=132&t=585901

Large image version :

http://features-temp.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/208213/208213_1200742213_large.jpg

As I have said before, Blender has some very powerful compositing features built in. You can't get more integrated than that.

14. Bogeyman thread starter macrumors newbie

Bogeyman

The interface on Blender is a bit daunting, but I have 14 hours worth of flight and layover to Croatia this weekend. I'm not afraid of getting deep in the weeds for good looking product. I'll take the tutorial with me. Thanks for the heads up, guys. I hope to be as skilled as you all before too long.

15. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Just in case you got the wrong end of the stick I did NOT make the image I posted a link too :). I only provided the link as an example of what a talented artist can do with the program. Just thought I'd clear that up in case anyone gets the wrong idea.

16. Bogeyman thread starter macrumors newbie

Bogeyman

Yes. Completely understood. But, being as inexperienced as I am with motion graphics, I don't think it's much of a stretch to assume that all of you who provided insight are better than I am at it. Good to see a display of integrity nonetheless. The world could use more of it.

17. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

I've used maya before, definitely good for 3d also very complicated to use.

18. RHD macrumors 6502

Lovely!
    Bet it took ages. In fact I know it did, the guy says so.

I have a turn around of two of three days on a project.

What I meant was Blender, while free which is great, has a hideous UI and a learning curve from hell. If you are going to put all that time and trouble into it why not learn something commercial? Even with the fact that you have to pay for 3DS or XSI at least you have a chance of being paid to use them when you get good. This guy can get the software provided and learn some civy skills for when he gets back from Croatia. (Good luck out there by the way)

19. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

For a beginner program it's hard to beat google's sketchup program. I don't think it has animation, but if you're just looking to get your feet wet this is great place to start.

It's easy and it's free!

http://www.sketchup.com/

20. Pat H macrumors member

Give Cararra a try. It's fairly cheap, stable and it has a mac version that runs fine under leopard. It may not give you the same capabilities as Maya, but it's damn close with an incredibly well designed interface. I know virtually nothing about animation and I've used it for several projects with results that looked pretty professional.

http://www.daz3d.com/i.x/software/carrara/-/?

21. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

Pat,

How did you go about learning to use Cararra? Are there any good tutorials out there, or what would you recommend?

Thanks,
    Martin

22. Pat H macrumors member

Cararra comes with a very extensive guide and there are plenty of tutorials and presets, but honestly I just learned by trial and error. I usually learn all my programs that way without even breaking open the manual, but even if you typically do, just playing around with the interface will make it all pretty self explanitory. Cararra definitely has one of the easiest, clean interfaces of all the 3D software, which will make your productivity a lot greater.