3 day armed siege down the road from me! Sheffield UK

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MacBoobsPro, Jan 5, 2009.

1. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

On my way to work today I was held up by a lot of traffic for some strange reason. As I got to the problem area I noticed a few police cars parked up and a lot of people standing around. I didnt think too much of it and carried on to work. On my way home later the same area was absolutely swarming with police, fire and ambulances, but I couldnt see what was happening.

When I got home I mentioned it to my parents and they said there was a load of police there last night too.

So (because Im bored) I did a little digging and found that there is a media blackout on what is happening but the city where I live has its own forum site and the people in the immediate area are keeping everyone up to date.

Turns out its an armed standoff with a single nutcase with a shotgun. He has apparently poured petrol all over his house inside and out and is letting off fireworks at the police. He has threatened to set everything alight if police move in.

Its still ongoing. Apparently the guy has fired shots into some police cars and there were reports he had set his dog alight however the latter seems to be unsubstantiated. I personally saw what looked like armed police as I drove past.

Check it.

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

3. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Nah its too cold.

Still on going as I drove past this morning. :eek:

About 36hrs now.

4. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

That's crazy! It's always very shocking when things like this actually happen near you rather than you seeing it on the news or internet.

Just this last Saturday, there was a mysterious box left on the main street right out of my subdivision. So mysterious to the authorities that they shut down the whole road and called the bomb squad to investigate :eek: We weren't allowed out of our neighborhood at all the way.

5. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I dunno about you, but "If you come in, I'll set my dog on fire" seems to be one of the less effective anti-siege tactics.

6. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I can't believe its still going. I since the kids got out he is the only one in the building. Why cant they just tear gas the nutter and go in?

It seems as though some people that live right next to him are trapped in their houses because he has a gun and the only way out is dangerous. Others can't get to their houses and are having to stay in the local pub and church.

7. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Now that I would noy mind :p

To the guys who said Tear gas him, that wouldn't work as he can still light his house on fire if he has the lighter or whatever in his hand/on his persons (You can still do stuff normally in pain :) )

8. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Don't you have a camera? Take it out and grab some shots... If there's anything good on them, you could sell them to the media! :p

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

So if the only thing that can happen is that he kills himself, then just leave 2 cops there to deal with it, and 1 or 2 firetrucks. Right now they're concerned for his safety, but honestly, it's of far less concern than the safety of any innocent people that were in there.

10. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I live in a town just like yours. It usually goes along these lines:

"Hey Gladys, did you hear about the incident last night at the Co-op?"

"No, what happened?"

"I hear a man locked the door and put some baskets at the door to keep the staff out!"

"Oh my"

The following day

"Hi Deirdre, did you hear about the heist in the Spar shop the other night?"

"No, what happened?"

"Apparently a man with a shotgun barricaded the door and flooded the whole place with petrol!"

:rolleyes:

11. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

The media are all over the place but they arent allowed to report anything so it doesnt piss him off even more.

That being said there are a few reports coming out now. Apparently its on bbc.co.uk.

I think this one is a bit more serious than that. Especially considering he has fired shots at the police.

12. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_yorkshire/7813232.stm

Seems like the blackout was primarily to help protect his children.

13. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

If this was the US he'd have been shot by the police by now. These things always end that way here.

They'd give him 12 hours tops to come out on his own, then they'd tear gas him and move in to arrest, if he made a gesture to light the house, or toughed his gun at all he'd have 50 or 60 rounds in him before he could finish the thought in his head.

Not that I think that's what should happen, but that's how we roll in the USA

SLC

14. Queso macrumors G4

Wouldn't work. This guy's from Yorkshire. Think Chuck Norris in a flat cap.

15. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Damn straight! :D

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Roflchops :D

17. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Yeah!! There's a unspoken policy in the US to shoot first! Question later! Not sure which is more viable to tell the truth. Anyway... Knowing the UK, it'll be a criminal offence for the cops to shoot the guy! Cause Britain has bent laws that protect law breakers more!!

18. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Heres a bit of an update. Apparently the road its all happening on is now closed so I might not get back for MacWorld. :rolleyes:

CRAZEH!

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

They have rather nice accents, though.

20. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

Wow, sounds scary! I hope this gets proper media attention... a man threatened to kill himself near my house recently... He got shot dead by armed police! It was hardly reported :confused:

Let us know what happens...

EDIT: found it for you: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_yorkshire/7814634.stm

He shot himself :(

21. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

I didn't know this sort of thing really existed in the world...

I mean... Sheffield Forum???