3 day old iMac....what the hell is this..

Discussion in 'iMac' started by YoNadz, Mar 12, 2016.

1. YoNadz macrumors regular

3 day old 27" iMac. This is the 2nd time I've seen this. Last about 10 seconds each time, then goes away. Any ideas?

https://flic.kr/p/EKkqmA

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Very likely a defect with the GPU. Nothing you can do but take it back to Apple.

3. Dean Yu macrumors regular

Dean Yu

4. YoNadz thread starter macrumors regular

its a late 2015. The off the shelf version with 2TB HD.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 12, 2016 ---
    Only seems to be doing it when I have multiple things going on such as music playing, web browsing, encoding w handbrake, etc...

5. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

Looks like a gpu thing. If you just got it, I would return and ask for a new one.

6. YoNadz thread starter macrumors regular

ugh. What a hassle. I bought it from Best Buy locally. The nearest Apple store is about 45 minutes away. Im assuming Best Buy would swap it out for me....which sounds like the best idea considering I don't really want Apple inside our brand new computer to install a new GPU. Hopefully Best Buy's return policy is worth packing this thing up. I'll be pissed if I get there and they turn me away.

7. varian55zx macrumors 6502a

varian55zx

Better to get a completely new one then have them open it up, go inside, change out parts, etc.

Keep it pristine for as long as possible.

With an obvious defect like that, you should have no problem.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Could be the GPU, could be something else, but given that is new iMac, take it back

9. Garrod macrumors regular

Garrod

That looks surprisingly like a problem I had with one of iMacs a couple or so years ago and, just like yours, the problem only occurred whilst the system was under load. It turned out it was an overheating issue with the GPU. My iMac was a couple of years old though but fortunately (and not without a considerable bit of legal arguing with Apple*) they just replaced it for a brand new machine.

*We have pretty robust consumer laws in England.

10. YoNadz thread starter macrumors regular

Taking it back today. I'll keep you all posted with an update. Thanks for the information and guidance.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Good luck, they should easily swap it out for you?

12. MacGizmo macrumors 6502a

MacGizmo

Best Buy likely isn't going to give you a new machine. Unless you paid them for their extended warranty program, they're going to tell you to return it to Apple. But hey, you might luck out. Best of luck!

13. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

So very very very sorry to see you have this problem.
    If I had saved up for a iMac and it was my prised item, I'd be devastated, plus the grief that it now involves getting it back to the store.
    I'm in the UK, but surely in the USA you have some law that says if you have only just bought an item and it's obviously faulty you are entitled to a swap for a brand new one?

On the other hand, Oh, god , PLEASE Apple start treating Desktop iMac's seriously like a Desktop, and not like some designer laptop on a stand.

I cannot imagine ANYONE in past years has moaned that their iMac's were too thick and if only Apple would make the desktop models thinner.

Seriously for the love of god Apple, Stop playing around as if these were some designer toys, and fit proper GPU's AND proper Cooling, not to mention 5400 rpm hard drives in "the best computer we can make" in 2016

It's seriously embaressing.

14. shrugbutt macrumors newbie

shrugbutt

Totally agree...particularly now, as with many 'top of the heap' manufacturers, Apple seem less interested in providing reliability to be built into their products/operating system than maintaining the standards of some years ago (particularly their computer section)...when Jobs was at the helm. Seems more like a glitz and glamour exercises in their computer production than practicality and innovation. I guess many things went following the demise of Steve Jobs.

15. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

If Apple got it's thumb out it's ass, and make a high'ish end Gaming Apple Computer.
    Not totally stupid, but let's say with a 980Ti or even a variant on a Titan in there, 32GB Ram, couple of SSDs, Top end Skylake.
    It would sell Billions, Fans would flock to it, hell even many PC people would probably flock to it.

Games writers would be falling over themselves to write the best high end games for it.

Heck make is an 21:10 (is that right?) Ultra wide screen.

It would set the world CRAZY.............

It's Sooooooooo simple, Given an Ultrawide screen they would then have extra space for internal dedicated GPU heatsinks without going crazy thick.

It would be THE most monumental Apple device in years and really put them right up the cutting edge.

Sadly, none of this will happen.
    All they want to do it make designer stuff for the beats kids is seems, hip, trendy, cool, ya man....

So so so sad :(

16. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

Always the rose colored glasses when looking back at Jobs's tenure. Older iMacs were notorious for heat related issues. If anything they need to step away from Jobsian form over function, his hallmark.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 13, 2016 ---
    They would sell a handful of what would probably be a $10K machine. Meanwhile, real gamers would be using equally capable machines that cost $2 - $3K.

17. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Never purchase from Best Buy, that in itself was a bad decision. Apple will only repair it, they will not swap it because it did not come out of their inventory. Get your money back from BB and buy it from Apple, you can get it from their on-line store.

18. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

Would Apple exchange it past the return period? I didn't think so. And depending on your reward zone status, Best Buy will have the same or longer return period. On top of that, you probably will save $100 plus vs Apple and earned whatever reward points toward future purchases. Not necessarily a bad decision in my view.

19. YoNadz thread starter macrumors regular

Best Buy exchanged it. Restoring from time machine now.

I was going to purchase from Apple, or even a refurbished Apple, but we had a 10% off coupon and double rewards points. Apple couldn't touch that discount.

Anyways, hopefully this iMac is trouble free. Thanks for the help guys!

20. varian55zx macrumors 6502a

varian55zx

Yeah. Not surprised

Thing was defective as hell. Any store that wouldn't do an exchange for a new computer doing THAT, doesn't deserve to be in business.

They don't deserve much.

21. MacGizmo macrumors 6502a

MacGizmo

Great news! I'm just guessing that the purchase put you into the "Elite" Reward Zone membership... If so, enjoy free shipping and discounts all year.

Generally BestBuy doesn't return Apple products unless they're unopened (due to Apple's policies, not BB's). But since thing was so obviously hosed, I guess they took mercy on you.

I actually prefer purchasing things like this directly from a retail store like BestBuy. It keeps people employed, and the returns/exchanges are generally easier. Plus, sometimes you just want to walk out of the store with your purchase, not wait on shipping. Imagine a world where you get all your electronics from Amazon... with it's wonderfully inept-to-non-existent customer service.

22. YoNadz thread starter macrumors regular

good point gizmo. I couldn't agree more. I just looked at my receipt and YES it does say Im a elite member. I guess thats because we also purchased about $6000 in new appliances from them this year also. How to I find on about this free shipping and exclusive discounts?