3 days till I buy first Mac. Stuck on which to get

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rangerdanger, Jun 24, 2008.

1. rangerdanger macrumors member

Alright, I'm 3 days from getting my first Mac and am stuck on what to buy. Here are my choices.

1. Macbook Pro, low end model
    2. iMac 24in screen low end
    3. iMac 24in screen high end

I stuck as to which to buy right now. I'm currently in High School and am 3 years from college, so eventually I would need a laptop if I bought the iMac now. Here's my main reasons for each

MBP: Portable, can take it with me on trips to show photos, surf the web, etc. It has the power I need to replace my current Windows PC (plus some!!) that is starting to crap out. LED screen Would run Apeture great!!

iMac: Has way more power than my Windows PC, so gaming would be great! Love the giant screen!! Glass screen ontop of the LCD screen. Perfect for my needs besides portable to view movies, listen to music, view photos, type large documents for school, and eventually run Apeture.

Thanks for any advice!!

2. Bigsam411 macrumors member

I say go for the low end iMac and then in 3 years when you need a laptop the iMac will be for the most part outdated then you can replace it with a Macbook Pro. If you dont plan on doing that then just get the Pro now and hope it lasts you through high school and college.

3. rangerdanger thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!! That's what my Mom said. Go with the desktop and get the laptop in 3 years, since technology seems to advance so fast!! The 24" iMac will also make a great movie viewing machine, since they won't allow a tv in my room!!!

4. dal20402 macrumors 6502

Agree. Just for perspective...

... 3 years ago today we were all breathlessly waiting for what turned out to be the PowerBook G4 High-Resolution (the last PB G4, introduced in 9/05). How would you feel if you were *starting* college today with a PowerBook G4 High-Resolution?

5. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

Personally, I would feel like it's more powerful than my iBook G4. :D

Tomorrow: I'm springing for the Macbook.

6. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

True that.

Although a Mac will have solid resale value for 4-5 years, you'll be much happier with the imac now and MBP later (or whatever the MBP will morph into).

7. rangerdanger thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys!! One last question. On the 24in iMac, should I go with the high end or low end. Pretty much everything is the same expect for the graphics card, right?? I don't plan on gaming at all really with my Mac, (I'll keep my PC for that) For my other stuff, i.e. web surfing, some imovie, iphoto, Aperture (later on, when Dad and I get into some more serious photos) Would the low-end iMac work?? Thanks!!

8. Bigsam411 macrumors member

Low end 24" iMac will be fine it is upgradeable to 4 gigs of ram and can handle hd video and high res photos very well.