3 Dots in iphone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blaker13, Jun 15, 2009.

1. blaker13 macrumors member

Hey all, did some searching and didnt see anything... wondering if anyone knows what the three dots under the screen next to the earpiece on the 3g are for. I noticed them the other day when it was in sleep mode and the sun was shinning on my iphone, looked like three things under the screen, possibly for a cam or notification lights? Anyone else see them?

2. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Were they red? I noticed 2 red dots also to the left of the ear speaker today, but only when the sun was shining directly on it. I don't know what it is either though :confused:

3. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPod touch 32GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

They are the ambient light and proximity sensors

4. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Guys, those are your sensors. Ambient light, proximity, etc...

5. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

Sensors

Hi, inside of those dots are sensors. I know they there are light sensors there, that is how the iPhone knows when you have it to your ear. Also how it know how much it should adjust the brightness of the screen. I'm not sure if they are all light sensors but I wouldn't be surprised. In any case, all three are sensors.

The Stig

6. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

You guys are quick! Thanks for the answers, and thanks for asking this OP :D I had forgotten I meant to ask it earlier :)

7. cwosigns macrumors 65816

Actually the proximity sensors are how the phone knows it's next to your ear. The ambient light sensors have nothing to do with how close it is to your ear.