3 GB of Ram vs 2

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rtomyj, Sep 19, 2016.

1. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

For those who owned an iDevice that has 2 GB of ram and now got the iPhone 7 Plus what are your thoughts on the extra RAM? Is it noticeable? How is it noticeable? I heard that its used for the dual camera but I doubt 1 whole gig is needed for just that.

2. benzslrpee macrumors 6502

benzslrpee

load way more web pages and apps without refreshing. i'd say it's fairly noticeable

3. Stewie macrumors 6502

Stewie

Don't notice it at all coming from a 6s+. But I also don't usually have many tabs open in safari.

4. jk4lebron23 macrumors 65816

jk4lebron23

My apps don't refresh nearly as much if ever other than instagram but I think that might be something on their end.

I love being able to switch back and forth with things now and not lose my place.

Coming from a 6+ it's great!

5. rtomyj thread starter macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

Thanks! I'm coming from a 6 and other than constant reloading of content the device works amazing on iOS 10. Really hoping for kick *** performance!
    --- Post Merged, Sep 19, 2016 ---
    My struggle right now, bud.... Hate that music position is lost after 30 min of use after pausing music.

6. jk4lebron23 macrumors 65816

jk4lebron23

It's definitely a lot faster and more stable coming from a 6/6+! Ive loved every second of it!

7. rtomyj thread starter macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

Great to hear! Apple should just ship me my iPhone right now....

8. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

coming from a 6plus, my new 7plus is a rocket ship. notice it most when i play a heavy loading game like Max Payne or RR.

9. makinbiscuits macrumors member

Coming from a 6+ to the 7+ is insane. Apps constantly refreshing was a huge pain. Going from 1gb to 3gb alone was worth the upgrade.

10. J&D Suspended

J&D

No huge difference in performance check out videos on YouTube even last year iPhone 6S beats iPhone 7 in opening apps

11. Fruit Cake macrumors 6502a

Definitely better on 3 gigs. Using a system app I see the 6s+ had about 500 meg free on fresh boot. The 7+ has 1.5gb free. The 6s would have more free ram in fresh boot due to lower display resolution. The 6+, well now that thing is just a joke on 1gb ram.

12. d5aqoëp macrumors 6502a

d5aqoëp

I would say there is not much of a difference between 3GB and 2GB RAM. Experience is more or less the same on 6S Plus and 7 Plus. Only controlled lab tests can tell 7 Plus holds few extra apps in memory longer before booting them out.

But on the other hand, 6 Plus with 1 GB is just laughable and people with that ill fated phone will receive a good boost upgrading to 7 Plus.

13. aliensporebomb macrumors 68000

aliensporebomb

I'd say it's noticeable and worth the upgrade.

14. mrex macrumors 68030

mrex

so now it is laughable but not long ago when iphone6 came with only 1gb ram it was more than enough? i still remember so many posts about how well ios is optimized, safari is snappier and blah blah blaaah, when you had something to say about the ram...

15. firewire9000 macrumors regular

I haven't noticed the extra gig, I'm coming from a 6s Plus and the 7 Plus is only a little bit faster. Normally I have a lot open tabs in Safari.

16. yegon, Dec 10, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2016

yegon macrumors 68020

64bit devices* should never have come with only 1gb ram imo. Had an Air 1 and 6 Plus, lousy experiences due to the reported 20-30% extra overhead of 64bit over 32bit (which was very apparent to me, ymmv), yet still rocking the same 1gb ram. It's absolutely fine that some people found, or still find, these devices adequate or better. I absolutely didn't. Unstable pita, crashiest iOS devices I've owned. Along with constant tab and app refreshing, my most common grievance was this - pause podcast (with Overcast), do something else, go back to unpause with CC (or that OS's equivalent) and Overcast is flushed and the default music player starts playing. Garbage experience, especially considering 90% of my usage is browsing and podcasts. Never happens with the 2gb devices.

*the 5S was a decent experience, likely benefitting from the much lower res, lower expectations and maybe less intensive usage on small phones.

17. d5aqoëp macrumors 6502a

d5aqoëp

You mirror my exact same experience with Air 1 and 6 plus. Surprising that some people are still defending 1GB of RAM on those 64 bit devices.

18. Fruit Cake macrumors 6502a

The memory footprint of iOS 10 appears to be greater then that of 9 as I notice apps force quit sooner once I updated to 10.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 10, 2016 ---
    Fanbois do that. I had both these devices and returned them shortly after. Horrid experiences. The air 2 rectified that and still using it today. Having a third core didnt hurt either.

19. Daniel L macrumors 6502

Most of the people responding went from 1GB to 3GB. He's asking about 2GB to 3GB. I've noticed almost no difference from the 6S+ to 7+. However, there was a huge difference from 6+ to 6S+

20. mrex macrumors 68030

mrex

Yeah, air2 is much better than air... air1 was horrible experience and and lots of refreshing happened. Not having those problems in my 6s+/air2.

Just saying that before air2 and 6s+ came, there were lots of people telling that 1gb is enough (apple isnt samsung, ios isnt android etc) although people had already problems with their devices - and most common reply probably was "ios/safari isnt optimized yet (for air)" or "apple will fix it". Then 6s+ came with 2gb ram, problems disappeared and suddenly that was needed and should have been the base.

So it is quite funny to read that "1gb is laughable" today and see iphone having already 3gb ram. But.. something good too - i dont see anyone bashing android anymore about having few gigs of ram.

21. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

To be honest i haven't really noticed much difference from my 6s plus in terms of ram management

22. aneftp macrumors 601

Agree. I let my wife have the 7 plus. She moved from the 6S 4.7 smaller size to the 7 plus cause she wasn't happy with the battery life of the smaller phone.

I kept my 6s plus and I'm a techie who has always gotten every iPhone since 2007. But this is the first year I passed on a new iPhone even with all the nice $200-250 gift card deals going for the iPhone 7 plus.

It's not a big jump from the iPhone 6 Plus to the iPhone 6S plus in day to day performance. I hated the lag and refreshes on the 6 plus. That 1gb sucked on that 1080p displayed.

The 2gb was huge jump. But going from
    2 to 3gb ram wasn't noticeable playing with my wife iPhone 7 plus. It does feel slightly faster and smoother than the iPhone 6s Plus. But not the same "whoa" much faster feeling I got going from the 6 plus to the 6S plus.

23. johannnn macrumors 65816

johannnn

Will 3gb finally cause the twitter app to not refresh constantly? It's the one app that always refreshes for me, even on 6S+

24. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

I could tell a difference when i got the 7. I can go back into games, and unless they are internet connected games reaching out to a server, they are exactly where I left off. Speaking of that and totally off topic, did you see that late show or whichever it was where the guy got to play mario run and the new zelda on switch? Looks like nintendo had a great idea when they said they weren't devoting anything serious to other mobile devices because they basically just combined a tablet, console, entertainment (movies), and 2 player arcade style without having to get an extra controller. Anyway, back on topic about loving the 7. One thing I do love is how i can leave it next to the shower door for if I want to change a song on spotify and now have to worry about if i get a drop of water on it near the home button or earpiece. I do have a S2 SS but I don't wear it in the shower just due to preference I suppose. K well gonna finish my coffee now since I'm rambling...lol