3 hour battery life

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by azscp, May 11, 2007.

1. azscp macrumors member

Hey guys.

I just bought a macbook pro a couple weeks ago. When I bought it I was under the impression that the battery would last for 5 hours. Though I'm finding that it only lasts for 3. Is this normal? What are others getting out of their batteries?

And it doesn't really matter what I'm doing. I can be online, working, etc. and still get the same 3 hours out of the battery.

A little disappointing.

2. Blubbert macrumors 6502

Is your backlight up on max during the time you run it off the battery? When i turn down my backlight to one or two dots, my battery life skyrockets into 4:30 area.

3. 2fives macrumors regular

3hrs is pretty normal. Mine with no back light on and the screen brightness up about 2/3 way would play a DVD (lord of the rings) for 2.5 hrs before the batery pooped out on me.

4. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Yeah. 3 hours is really bad. Considering most normal PC laptops don't come close to that..

:rolleyes:

My macbook lasts about that and I'm more than happy considering the power this laptop has a normal PC laptop's battery life would be about 1:30 .

However, have you calibrated the battery? That normally helps. :)

5. mpw Guest

I sat watching streamed video over WiFi at full brightness on my MacBook yesterday for a little over 3hrs, with power management setting set for best performance.

6. bartelby macrumors Core

Remember Apple (and all other manufacturers) measure battery life with no apps running and all possible settings at minimum but set not to go to sleep.
    And then they leave it.

7. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

3 to 3:30 is normal for me running with a pretty bright screen.

8. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Yeah, it does matter. :p

Is Bluetooth on and running? Big battery sucker. As is Airport. And as others have mentioned, turn down the brightness of the LCD.

The MBs get better battery life than the MBPs.

9. 2ndPath macrumors 6502

About 3 hours is what I normally get. Less if I put heay load on the machine.

10. mpw Guest

Smaller LCDs I'm guessing.

11. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

I just turn down the brightness and turn off Bluetooth on my MacBook, it helps a lot.

12. uaaerospace macrumors 6502

No dedicated graphics card, too. One time this is a plus.

13. hidehide macrumors 6502

I usually gets more than 4 hours with notes taking in class and surfing internet.. but sometimes i was listening to the prof during class...
    I dim the brightness to 1 dot and close bluetooth..

14. janey macrumors 603

janey

I never do.

This may be because i need to use visual studio in parallels (%*&($@^($(@*$(*&!@(%*^&!^@# microsoft)...