3 hour mac boot up time????

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bcburrows, Nov 21, 2009.

1. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

OK

So last week - as per usual - mac no problems
    Since I got the Time capsule set up to extend the network signal my macbook pro has been having all sorts of trouble. I have since turned the TC off and arranged to return it. I have now purchased a WD world book 1TB NAS. Anyway it takes about 3 hours for my mac to load up the login screen and then about an hour to be ready to work. Nothing wrong with the dual boot into windows 7 - 30 s load up and ready to roll....

So anyone else had any similar experiences? The TC and the NAS are the only new additions to the mac....I have also entered system preferences to ensure that at load up it does not try to boot from a network drive....

2. bcburrows thread starter macrumors 6502

bcburrows

Right little more info

Managed to get force quit and system preferences to load up.

System preferences kept intermittently crashing but when force quit was loaded it did show system preferences as not responding intermittently, when it did work most of the options demonstrated errors and no modifications could be made......

As I stated windows 7 is still running fine.....

3. bcburrows thread starter macrumors 6502

bcburrows

Just figured it out

Story of woo - hopefully someone can avoid my troubles from reading this.

Essentially:
    Replaced stock 320Gb hitachi with 500Gb seagate
    Purchased 1TB NAS AND 1TB time capsule for backuyp and netowkr hard drive
    Set my computer to bacl up to these devices overnight, in the interim deleted by external lacie that had been used for back up and sold on ebay.

Now 22 days after purchasing hard drive - it has reported that it has failed - apple hardware test error - 4HDD/11/40000004:SATA(0,0) and to make matter worse it failed whilst backing up to my time capsule so I have lost ALL of my data from the last five year - all gone!!

So if anyone does anything similar make sure your new back up has worked before deleting your old one - needless to say I am not impressed with the seagate hard drive!!!!!