3 hours with the Classic Buckle (38mm)

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Accessories' started by SethBoy, Apr 26, 2015.

1. SethBoy macrumors regular

I’m not in one of the launch countries, so I got my Watch by buying it overseas and then having a friend deliver it to me. Without being able to try on, my first pick was the Milanese Loop, but I couldn’t get that in the first range of shipment dates, so I went for the Classic Buckle.

I’m not a watch wearer and I suppose the Classic Buckle is pretty nice, but putting it on and taking it off just once made me feel like I should have stuck with the Milanese one instead. I think the magnetic closure of the Milanese Loop (or the magnetic clasp of the Modern Buckle) would have been so much more convenient. I love the iPad’s Smart Cover and sometimes take it off while using my iPad because it’s so convenient to take off and put on. Feel like I would enjoy doing this with my Watch band, especially when letting my friends try it on.

The Classic Buckle, on the other hand, is decidedly old school and feels clumsy to put on and take off. I even feel like I should have gone for the Sport band instead since that’d be water resistant at least and I could use it for exercise.

I think there are a few Classic Buckle fans here and I wonder what their thoughts are. Seems to me like the Modern buckle would be much nicer — except for the price — simply for the magnetic clasp.

I know there’s an exchange programme but I think I’d have to bring the thing back to HK and then back again. Oh well, hope it grows on me soon.

2. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Clearly you're not a watch wearer. The classic buckle is about as basic as a leather strap as one can imagine and I'm not sure I've ever thought of them as clumsy. And once my watch goes on in the morning, it doesn't come off until bed. Maybe now you're passing it around to your friends, but one day soon it'll stay put on your wrist.

The sport band is actually harder to put on because of the way it tucks back around (at least it was for me when trying it on).

3. SethBoy thread starter macrumors regular

Well it is definitely not as easy as just wrapping the Milanese Loop around one’s wrist and just closing the strap. I think the bands with magnetic closures/clasps is yet another way Apple has made improvements to traditional watch hardware, much like tool-less adjustment of the Link Bracelet and the easy switching of bands.

Guess I’m just a bit disappointed I picked the more traditional option… Well, it is called “Classic” for a reason.

4. lewisd25 macrumors 6502a

Classic buckle is the most classy, formal band that Apple makes. I'm not a huge fan of the buckle itself, but the leather is nice and will get even nicer once it is broken in.

5. flur macrumors 68000

The folks that have that band seem to think it's pretty tricky, actually. Check out the thread about the Milanese Loop scratching the SS. The band doesn't stay threaded through on both sides, so you have to thread it while holding it on your wrist - a bit trickier than the classic band.

6. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

I ordered the classic buckle and am looking forward to it. Then again, I'm a watch wearer and love buckle based bands.

7. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

I'm ok with it so far but I don't like the plastic clasp. I guess it's plastic so it doesn't scratch up but it feels cheap.

8. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

There's nothing plastic on the classic buckle.
    ?

9. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

It's not. I took it off and checked. It's metal but feels plasticky.

10. flur macrumors 68000

Having tried it on today, I beg to differ.

If you don't like it, return it for something else.

11. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

I am. I'm going to get the Milanese instead. I want the leather loop but can't get it for the 38.

12. flur macrumors 68000

Yeah it's kind of funny, when they first showed the bands I thought the leather loop was ugly, but seeing them in person, they're pretty sharp. Hopefully they'll decide to make them for the 38 down the line.

13. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

I'm the same. I didn't even consider it. Looked at one and I actually like it. I even ordered a 42 to see if that loop can work for me.

Aside from the plastic feel, the classic is just cumbersome when I type all day at work and I really don't like the sticky feeling on a warm day. I'm not sure the loop will be any better in that regard. I guess I really need 2 bands.

14. SethBoy thread starter macrumors regular

I’m not quite sure what you mean by “threaded”. From the videos I’ve seen, people just put their hands through the Loop and then pull on the end to tighten and then just close the loop.

When I put on the buckle, I have to make sure the watch sticks to my wrist while I tug at the leather to make sure I can get a tight fit, and I worry what would happen to the leather in the long run from such tugging and stretching.

----------

One a side note, I think another argument for picking the Milanese Loop is that it is probably a lot more difficult than the Classic Buckle to copy. I think third parties can easily make a Classic Buckle knock off, but not a good Milanese Loop one.

15. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

The leather will age, stretch and wear. It's supposed to.

It's ok not to like the leather buckle, but leather goods are supposed to age and take on patina. It's considered desirable and unique.

16. KPOM macrumors G5

Actually, the Milanese Loop doesn't come undone. You slip your hand through the loop and then tighten it.

----------

Mesh bands are pretty common.

17. SethBoy thread starter macrumors regular

I know that. It still seems a lot more convenient since I can put my hand through the Loop, and use the other hand to fasten and close the Loop magnetically.

Admittedly, I’m getting used to the Classic Buckle now and can put it on pretty quickly, but it still does not feel as convenient or as… magical as something magnetic.

I haven’t seen one with a magnetic closure though.

18. Qrispy macrumors regular

Qrispy

Not ones that don't pull your arm hair. The Apple Milanese Loop is by far the best one of its type.

19. LiemTa macrumors 6502

Stop making guesses. You can undo the Milanese loop.

20. KPOM macrumors G5

I tried the Milanese Loop band. Maybe it's possible to undo the loop, but it's designed to remain closed. You loosen the loop and slide your hand through it.

21. WilliamG macrumors 604

When I tested it in store, you could, you couldn't undo it all the way. It always stayed in a loop because the magnet part wouldn't thread back through. I liked that feature. With the Leather Loop that's not the case, sadly. You can de-loop it.

22. flur macrumors 68000

I suspect the leather loop will be easier to re-loop.

23. WilliamG macrumors 604

I don't follow. You can't de-loop the Milanese, so it wins for that.

24. LiemTa macrumors 6502

http://imgur.com/a/rFg7e

25. WilliamG macrumors 604