3 Important Things to Consider Before Installing a Second HD w/a "Data Doubler"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by waltersanchez, Jul 21, 2011.

1. waltersanchez macrumors newbie

Jul 21, 2011
    Back Story: I bought my MacBook Pro this year with a 128GB SSD. It's FAST but, all my libraries are stored on my 500GB G-Drive mini. I'm beginning to notice the minor inconveniences of carrying around an extra Hard-Drive.

Solution: OWC Data Doubler w/ 500GB Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid HD. I chose the Momentus XT because it's suppose to be the closest thing to a Solid-State Drive without paying more than $1000. It's a 7200rpm HD with 4GB of NAND Flash memory which learns what files are used most frequently, moves them into Solid-State and speeds up performance.

Questions: 3 Main Concerns :confused:

1. Battery Life (Am I still going to get the 7 Hours Apple advertises?)

2. Noisiness (Anyone with experience... Is a 7200rpm HD Loud? If so, any recommendations on a different one thats quieter?)​

3. Hotness (Anyone with experience... does having a second HardDrive make your Laptop unbearably hot? This one is the least important or MAYBE the most important [since my MB Pro already gets REALLY hot sometimes].)​

Any other advise anyone would like to offer is appreciated.
  2. Intell macrumors P6

Jan 24, 2010
    Modern 7200rpm drive are not loud, nor hotter then 5400rpm drives.
  3. blueroom macrumors 603

Feb 15, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Adding a second HDD to any computer will increase power draw. You're battery life will decrease but hard to say by how much.

If you can get by with taking only the data on the road you need get a NAS (also a nice TM one is a good idea). You can WebDAV or FTP to get those files on the road.