3 inch audio discs

TrickyUK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2005
Manchester, UK
Hi there.

A quick question for you. Does anyone know if my Powerbook is capable of reading 3 inch audio CDs in the superdrive, or should I not risk trying to put one in (the problem being that I may not be able to get it out afterwards).

Thanks

Tricky

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Most slot loading drives cannot deal with the 3" miniCDs. And of those that do, you can still wind up losing the CDs in the drive.

Don't do it. Apple charges for miniCD removal.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
SpaceMagic said:
Really annoying heh. Why do Apple use slot loaders by the way?
Well for the laptops, iMac G5 and Mac Mini, using a slot loading optical drive enables them to keep the size down. A tray loading drive takes more space up. PowerMacs use tray loading drives.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
SpaceMagic said:
Really annoying heh. Why do Apple use slot loaders by the way?
They're very nice with the exception of supporting 3" discs, which don't seem to be all that common. Harder to break something without a tray, smaller profile (as mentioned), cooler look.

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
stoid said:
There are adaptors that fit around the miniCDs so that they are regular size and will function in a slot-loading drive.
Here's one I found really quick if you really need to read that disc. I may pick one of these up to have on hand, as I have a 10 pk of mini CDRs that I would like to use with my Mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.