3 iTunes Libraries???

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tilpots, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

I've done a lot of searching for this topic and have not found the answer for my particular situation. I'm working on a MBP and just got a FW800 external drive. My MBP's HDD is getting full and I added my 50GB iTunes (7.6) Library to the external. Now here's where it gets tricky... I save my files in Apple lossless so the files are big. I want to re-import the files from the external back onto the MBP as smaller mp3 files to take with me on my travels. So there's two libraries, now I want to have a third to import new music I acquire on my travels as apple lossless and then be able to sync these new titles with my external library when I return home, all the while keeping everything separate.

What is the best method for doing this? Is it even possible? I have backed up all my music on DVD as well just in case this doesn't work, so I'm willing to try a few options. But I'd rather not erase all my playlists and play counts on the external library (I don't mind not having these for the mp3 library though). Thanks for your help and if you need more info, let me know and I'll do my best to fill in the gaps!

2. bartelby macrumors Core

If you hold down Alt when you start up iTunes you can create and switch between libraries. Is that what you are looking for?

3. Tilpots thread starter macrumors 601

Tilpots

Thanks for your reply, and yes, sort of. I know about this feature, but I don't want iTunes to have all the apple lossless files and the duplicate mp3's in the same folder, which is why I want the three separate libraries, but not have iTunes overwrite the original apple lossless files when it keeps everything organized. Am I going about this the wrong way?