3 MacBook ??'s: AC Adapter still melt? HD swap void AppleCare?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by polaris20, Sep 13, 2008.

1. polaris20 macrumors 68020

I'm about to pull the trigger on a MacBook. I know they may have a new model coming out next month, but I really can't wait as I need it for work.

3 questions:

1. On Apple Store, the reviews for the AC Adapters say that they're unreliable, melt down, catch fire, etc. Is this still a concern, or has Apple fixed it?

2. If I get Apple Care, but then throw in a 320GB 7.2k Seagate down the road, is that going to void the Apple Care?

3. How good are the Bookendz docking stations for the MacBook? At $150, it's a little pricey considering I still have to buy the spare AC Adapter, but if it works well, it would simplify things.

Thanks in advance!

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

1. Never had a problem - know 12 people with MacBooks none of them had a problem either.

2. No - hard drives are user-replaceable (is there such a thing as a 7200rpm 320GB Seagate. Warranty/AppleCare not affected.

3. Don't know but cannot really see the point of them (and they are not cheap)

3. polaris20 thread starter macrumors 68020

Yeah, check it out:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Seagate/ST9320421AS/

There's also a 5.4k 500GB laptop drive out now, which is cool:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Samsung/HM500LI/

4. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

I think a 250 gb, 5400 rpm is perfect. I'd think a larger, faster one would be hotter and louder with less battery life. IDK

5. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

1. Not as much, just when people yank them out, since it's a magnet they think it's okay to do that, and it's not. Pull the adaptor out the same way we have been doing for years.

2. Yup, it voids the warranty. It's not as hard to do as it is with the MBP but it's still not a user replaceable part that Apple says is okay to go ahead and replace. Some do get around it by sticking the original back in when it needs to go for repair though.

3. Docking stations are still a waste IMHO. It's fine if you need one, but you are better off saving the $150.

6. rmb7984 macrumors regular

rmb7984

I've had my macbook for about a year now and have had no problems with the power adapters. I have 3 and all have worked flawlessly.

I replaced my hard drive with a 320GB Hitachi that spins at 7,200 rpm. I LOVE the thing! It's huge and really fast. I haven't noticed any problems with heat or decreased battery life. The new drive has slightly more vibration, but not much. But to answer your question, changing the drive does not affect your warranty, at least in my experience. I've had mine in for service at the genius bar and no one said a word! I suppose there is official word on that somewhere online, but I don't have the motivation to find it.

Good luck, enjoy your new machine.

7. LordMelkor macrumors newbie

I found this thread by google searching "melted ac adaptor mac" in google. So the first poster's concern isnt fully illegitimate. I've owned my macbook for a little over 2 years now, today i was examining the ac adaptor, and saw that the the material around the wire near the ac adaptor unit was melted and burnt, and some of the wire was exposed!! Needless to say I was quite surprised, but other than being a fire hazard it still seems to work. $80 for a replacement adapter from Apple.com borders absurd...

http://www.appledefects.com/wiki/index.php?title=Magsafe#Melting_Magsafe_Cable

this website states the following: "Apple officially says the fraying and melting is not covered under the Apple warranty, meaning they do not have to replace the damaged units. However, in practice, virtually all users who have contacted Apple about these problems have received a replacement at no cost and with no hassle. Do not hesitate to contact Apple about this issue. This apply only if you live in the US: if you need a replacement somewhere else you'll have to pay for it (if you can find it)."