3 Magsafe Adapters fried, Frustrated. Can anyone please help?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SL2TO, Jul 2, 2012.

1. SL2TO macrumors newbie

:apple: Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum, I joined to find someone who could help me out with this big problem because I don't have that much money to pay for repairing. I have a MBP 2006 model (older version). A few months back my first Magsafe power adapter that I've been using for almost 5 years got fried out. So I bought a new one from a sale for $50. Then it got fried after like 25 days later :(, and I couldn't return or exchange it because it only had a 15 days warranty. So, I thought it has something got to do with my power, so I changed my surge protector and bought a brand new magsafe adapter from Future Shop for $90 (added up to $102 with tax). After exactly 29 days, it got fried again!!! :confused: For my luck I was able to return it with my money back the next day since it had a 30 day guarantee.

So now I'm starting to think it has to do with my MBP it self. Either the battery or the magnetic part that's missing it's rubber case thingy where I plug in. Here's a photo.

[​IMG]

Can someone please tell me if this is the issue? if it's not what's wrong with it? I love my Macbook Pro and I can't afford to buy a new one at the moment. If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it.

Thank you very much _/\_

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I believe it is a known issue. When things like this happen the first thing I do is call Apple. They will assist you in determining if you indeed have an issue on your hands that is repairable for free. Obviously there is an issue but whether they'll repair for free is another story. I hope they do because 3 times is terrible.

3. SL2TO thread starter macrumors newbie

I did but the Apple said I need to have some sort of a member ship that I have to pay monthly. So noone from here can help?

4. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

Well. Since your machine is out of warrantee; they're not going to be able to help you much over the phone. Make a genius bar appointment at an Apple store so they can inspect it hands on. There is no charge for them to look at it in person.

If an Apple store is not an option, then you're probably going to want to look around for a local authorized apple dealer who has in-house repair service.

If that's not an option either. Then, it's probably time to start shopping around for a replacement. 6 years out of that model isn't bad. She's paid for herself twice over. :)

5. clumeng macrumors member

What do you mean by "fried"? Burning and smoke? Not charging the computer? Does the green light go on on the magsafe?

Your picture is not helpful as you've focused on the background (nissan) and not the adaptor - there might be physical damage to the magsafe connection area.

6. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

If you tell them you bought your adapter less than a year ago they will believe you. So call up and set up a replacement.