3 million Nexus 4's have been sold

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by EbookReader, Jul 13, 2013.

1. EbookReader macrumors 65816

original source:
    http://media.daum.net/digital/newsview?newsid=20130530161205872

http://www.unwiredview.com/2013/05/...pe-after-all-sold-3-million-nexus-4s-to-date/

2. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Not a surprise. Here in Canada you can get one for $0-$50 on a cheap two year contract plan from all carriers, or even $250-300 outright (due to bestbuy promotions combined with carrier tabs which you can pay off immediately and claim the phone) which is even cheaper than google play.

So I would expect it to sell quite well considering I am seeing mostly n4s than s4s lately.

All google needs is to improve their battery performance on nexus and for $300 it is a steal compared to a $650 s4/one.

3. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

4. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

The only Nexus phones I've ever seen out and about is the Galaxy Nexus and that's thanks to Verizon.

5. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

There's 3 in my department, so I see them daily.

I like the design quite a bit. It's a good looking phone. Like a super sized iPhone 4

6. Sensamic macrumors 68030

Let's hope Google sees the potential of the Nexus brand after this good sales and brings back the Nexus phones to carriers on Europe and makes the next nexus phones more powerful.

7. iPhonemaster5S macrumors 6502

iPhonemaster5S

Is 3 million devices sold a good number? Considering It has been out for awhile... I do like the phone though wish google would make a more powerful version of it with support for LTE.

8. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Nope, 3 million in almost a year of it being out is terrible.

Nexus phones aren't meant to be big sellers anyway, so I'm not hating on the phone for it, especially since it's such a great value piece of tech. I just don't see the point in praising predictably low sales for what is essentially an engineering device for a niche market of xda-developers users.

9. maxosx macrumors 68020

I've had my Nexus 4 since they first shipped. I was extra vigilant waiting to order it, got lucky, submitted my order the moment they appeared in Google Play, and received it in less than a week.

Of my various Android phones its a close second to my Galaxy S4. I'm very eager to take delivery of a Nexus 5. My guess is that will be one of the best pure Android smartphones of the upcoming crop.

10. EbookReader thread starter macrumors 65816

I wonder if Google will continue selling the Nexus 4 when the next Nexus come out...

11. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

For a nexus phone I think it is actually good though.

12. Jibbajabba macrumors 65816

They would have sold more if they wouldn't have failed to have enough stock to begin with. Without exception, every single bloke in our department wanted one .. we are 8 .. Only one guy was able to go through the order process on the google site, ordering the total of 8 - which then was cancelled by google.

I, and a few others, ended up with an S3, two other guys with some random Lenovo Android phone and one guy went Windows instead.

So they def. missed an opportunity there...

13. Shuri macrumors 6502

What opportunity? Do they even earn anything on those? The aim is to spread the OS even further, it doesn't really matter if it runs on a S4 or a N4. So they missed one potential User out of 8 ;)

14. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

well they are making some money off the phones. It may not be a lot, but i'm sure they would rather have those sales than not have them.

15. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

No, Google will not continue to sell the previous model when the new one is released.

(Hope the mods won't remove my post this time :rolleyes:)

16. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

I disagree. 3 million units for a phone that is not subsidized by the carriers in any way is very good. Afterall, most people would rather sign a 2 year contract and pay $150 to get top of the line phones, rather than pony $300 upfront for a phone.

17. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

It was subsided on one or two US carriers wasn't it? You could get it free on any network on the UK before CPW discontinued it just the other week.

18. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

You are right. It was available on a lot of carriers. My bad. :p

19. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

If they want the Nexus brand to gain traction, they need to start selling all of the GE and Nexus phones IN STORES, like Best Buy, Costco, Sam's Club, etc

20. THE JUICEMAN macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

Piggybacking off of the above post. Does Google have enough products to open a store?? I think they could at least give it a trial run.

21. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

3 chrome books , 2 GE phones and 3 nexus devices. I don't think that's quite enough. Apple sells software, accessories, desktops, laptops, iPads, iPods and iPhone.

22. THE JUICEMAN macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

Ok fine. Just wishful thinking I guess. :)

23. Droidrage729 macrumors 6502

Good for them I love both google and apple products. Having used both I have to admit my iphone 5 batter life is 10x better then my gnex was. I'm really liking what they are doing with pure aosp versions of the one and gs4. I'm keeping a close eye on upcoming devices on both ends.

24. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

If Google ran a store, the whole layout would change every day, they'd constantly pull products and release half-finished new ones out of the blue, and there'd be no customer service.

25. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

3 million devices is pretty good. The phone isn't sold as a subsidized, lock-me-to-an-expensive-contract device.

It is sold as a standalone device and is only available to UMTS network subscribers. Most people are buying it largely on faith since it is fairly difficult to get your hands on one without purchasing it first.

3 million isn't iphone numbers, but the iphone doesn't have to compete with a dozen other types of phone.