3 Million Units and $2 Billion in revenue (so far)

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by extricated, Apr 20, 2015.

1. extricated macrumors 6502

extricated

Thought you folks might enjoy this article.

Couple of interesting points:
    By the analyst's estimates, the Edition sold in the thousands (40k), rather than millions, yet the revenue is almost on par with the Sport ($500 million vs. $675 million).

I thought the author had a good analogy on just what it took to manufacture this. I'll quote bits and pieces here, but I recommend checking out the blog to see his whole analogy.

The article I cited was also picked up by 9to5Mac.

2. Evildude683 macrumors regular

Evildude683

Revenue from what? I haven't been charged for the watch yet! #

3. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

And has been posted on this forum about 30 times in the past 4 days.

PS. Although I can't find those posts for some reason!

4. extricated thread starter macrumors 6502

extricated

I kind of wondered if someone had already posted here, so I did a quick scan beforehand. Like you, I couldn't find anything.
    Maybe I wasn't using the right search terms.

Regardless, here it is! :D

5. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

And again, it's just a guess. He may be right, he may be wrong, but his numbers are based on the earlier reported Slice numbers. So far, we have one company that uses a package tracking app for data coming out with a number and others running with it. No one, but Apple knows the numbers. If they have truly sold 1 million or 3 million, there will be an announcement very soon. If there is no numbers given, then I would be highly skeptical.

6. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Apple will not announce number. If at all it will be obscure term like "great" which Tim Cook already did.

7. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

Why not? If they truly sold 3 times as many in a week as Pebble has in it's entire existence, or close to 4.5 times as many as Android Wear, and grossed $3 billion, you really don't think they would say that? What would be the reason for holding back? They have always announced sales numbers when they break records.

EDIT: To be clear, I would not at all be surprised if the numbers are true, even if Apple doesn't announce anything. I just think it would be rather odd. It reminds me of Kindle sales, when Amazon wouldn't announce those, and it turned out they weren't selling as many as people thought, as I recall.

8. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

The Apple Watch sales are included in "Others" category for financial reporting. The reason is clear. Apple will not tell you about number of units sold for strategic reason. This was decided since last financial reporting.