3 mobile broadband installation, can anyone shed any light please

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Lily111, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Lily111 macrumors newbie

Hi, I recently bought a 3 mobile broadband prepaid dongle (Huawei E156G) and have been unable to install it on my mac book.

I go through the process as described by the info that comes with the dongle.
    I get to ‘you are now ready to configure your system select ‘configure’ to configure your system.

I select configure and get this message ‘an internal error has occurred during configuration (5370)

(I called 3 who told me this is a problem with my computer settings and I need to contact apple to resolve it)

I already have a vodafone dongle (not pay as you go) and have had no problems with it.

I have an idea from my research so far that it may be something to do with the drivers, when I uninstalled the 3 software I found that my vodafone dongle would no longer connect to the net and I had to reinstall it.

I'd be very gratefull if anyone can help or point me in the right direction, I did search the forum before posting but didnt see anything that seemed to be relevant.

Thanks in anticipation:)

2. macgrl macrumors 65816

Hi there, have you gone to the Huawei website and seen if there is any new software to download. I suppose if there is then they should have told you that when you spoke to them. But it may be worth have a look :)

3. philgroom macrumors newbie

Forget 3Connect in Mac OS X 10.4 - use MobileConnect instead

Hi - I just ran into this same problem. After several longwinded phone calls to 3 support that went nowhere, I eventually found this page on their website, which their support people seem blissfully unaware of:
    http://ask3.three.co.uk/mbbdocs/3connect/3usb_104.html

Then found this download page for MobileConnect:
    http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Drivers/MobileConnect.shtml

Deleted the 3Connect software that came with the modem, installed MobileConnect instead and that was it, problem solved, now works fine.

4. philgroom macrumors newbie

Sadly, the Huawei website is less than helpful on this issue...

5. Suzie4567 macrumors newbie

It's still a problem

I've just got a ZTE MF627 pay monthly mobile broadband from Three.

Works fine on my XP Notebook, but on my Mac OS X 10.4.11 it gets part way through the setup until I get "internal configuration error (5370)"

Interestingly, although a Google search pulls up that plenty of other users are having this problem, on speaking to Three on the phone this morning they insist that this is the first they've heard of it?!?!

I've read about downloading an untyped binary data file, or running the setup in SUDO to solve the problem, but not being a guru myself is there a set of simple instructions on how to do this anywhere?

Thanks,
    Suzie.

6. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

While OSX 10.4 (Tiger) is a lovely OS, it's rather old now, and if you want to use an entire new category of spanky hardware that more or less wasn't really around much when 10.4 was written, then expect some hurt.

In other words 3G dongles were rather rare when 10.4 was being created. You may have more luck with 10.5 (Leopard). Or wait a few months for the drivers to be updated, then get Snow Leopard (it's cheap) if your mac can run it.

7. Suzie4567 macrumors newbie

Hi RedTomato - the spec for the dongle states systems supported as being Mac OS X 10.4.11/10.5.2 so it's a bit rude if it turns out that it doesn't.

Good idea about upgrading the operating system, and I am very fond of my G5 Imac, but I guess like most girls, I've just got to have a new one now! Much easier with a brand new computer that arrives all ready to go straight out of the box! :)

Thanks,
    Suzie.

8. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

My work bought a Vodafone UK 3G dongle, and I installed it on a few macbooks, and all was well. Then we bought a few more macbooks and a MBA, and the installation software no longer worked.

I had to search around for new installation software, and Vodaphone was less than helpful. Eventually searching the Vodaphone forums led me to a page on the Vodafone website that had the latest OSX software. This page wasn't linked to in their Mac FAQ, and didn't come up in their website search, if I remember right.

So search the Three forums for OSX and install and maybe you'll get somewhere. Or read through the pages you found on the issue in Google.

If you post a link to the page that gave a solution which you couldn't understand, maybe someone here will translate it.

9. Suzie4567 macrumors newbie

ZTE MF627 3Connect on Tiger - Yay! Fixed it!

Personally I'm not impressed with the tech support at Three having been told today that they might get back to me sometime if they ever have a solution as to how to install their ZTE MF627 dongle on my G5 iMac 10.4.11 (intel core duo processor) since it bombs out with an internal config error in the setup.

But guru Linux son to the rescue! Basically he's sorted out the permissions problems using sudo to change ownership of of the 3Connect folder to the local user - far too technical for me! So it's now all fixed, fully installed and running perfectly! Ta Da!

10. findtom macrumors newbie

I don't know if this will help but......

I too came from vodafone to 3connect. The 3connect software stopped my vodafone dongle working. Its something to do with the profile that 3connect sets up.

The only way around it was to delete the 3connect software so that the vodafone dongle worked.

I now only use the 3connect dongle so it doesn't matter but it might help someone.

Also, if I leave the 3connect software running when I close the laptop lid, when I restart I get about 30 seconds before the laptop crashes. However, if I disconnect and then quite 3connect the laptop runs fine. It looks to me that 3 haven't updated their software in a while the 2.5.1 I have (the newest one) was updated 2008.

Anyway that should help anyone who uses the 3connect rubbish.

11. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

Although not related to the 3connect software, the latest Vodafone dashboard doesn't work.

You need to use 3.04.01.00 (9430). I have successfuly run this and made a connection. Still complains about the kext file during installation but it doesn't affect it.

Now if I only I hadn't dropped my dongle and bent it....