Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cruciarius

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2013
Massachusetts
I would like to some day run 3 monitors & I know the Mini can do it, but does that change when adding an eGPU to the setup?

Currently looking at having 3 LG 4K UHD 27UD88-W 27" for the setup, though likely will just run with 2 at 1st.

Also, back when the 2018 Mac Mini came out, I got excited to ditch my overheating iMac for it. Life happened though, which made me set the Mac Mini idea on the back burner for too long. I need that upgrade.

When I was 1st doing research about the Mini, back when it came out, the Vega 64 seemed to be the best eGPU option available. I now see the AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT is out (I'm behind on GPUs & honestly know very little or nothing about them. I just get what's recommended). Read that this vs the Vega 64 is barely much of a difference in performance, but looking around, I see cheaper prices for the AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT ($400 price area) than the Vega 64 ($800 price area). Are these to 2 best eGPU options?

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
I run 3 monitors fine with a Vega64 in the Sonnet enclosure. All standard DisplayPort cables coming from the card.

5700 XT (Navi) is way better than the Vega for gaming. Maybe for applications too, but probably to a lesser extent.

I think the only knock against the Navi at the moment is that the macOS drivers aren't particularly mature.

Reactions: ruslan120
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.