3 monitors, overkill or awesome.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rafalski24, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Rafalski24 macrumors regular

I have a nice samsung IPS 24" >100% color gamut monitor (on an arm!) and a crummy uber cheap (read:120 bucks on black friday) viewsonic 23" monitor, but at the moment all I have is my uMBP 15"... Are the usb to DVI adapters worth it (http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10114&cs_id=1011403&p_id=6039&seq=1&format=2) and do they just support 1920x1080? or do they also support 1920x1200? Kinda feel silly with the extra monitor laying around... any ideas? I would love to get a lil mac mini but don't have the money lying around at the moment.
    thanks everyone!

2. joe8232 macrumors regular

I don't know if this will be of any real help to you, but last summer I did a work placement at my university and I was at a computer with only one monitor and the IT guy got hold of a USB>VGA adapter and plugged in a 1280x1024 monitor and it felt very fuzzy to me and you could really see the difference. but that was a cheap windows computer running two cheap [though identical] 17" monitors.

3. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

3 monitors are awesome at first then later it becomes overkill.

4. hippo206 macrumors 6502

I know very few people that actively use 3 monitors. Could increase your "cool" factor though....

5. PAC88 macrumors 6502

3 monitors is not overkill.. I have two 24" 1920x1200 side by side and my next move is to get a third one. I use them to look at multiple graphs, numbers and other info all at once.. keeps me more productive but I guess it depends what you are going to use them for.. In my opinion, three 24" or two 30" monitors is ideal.

I get claustrophobic when I don't have enough screen

6. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

I think two 24's with 1920x1200 (or higher) are better. With 3 monitors you need to turn your head a lot more.

7. I3eXa macrumors 6502

I have my 20" iMac with a 19" on the side....nothing beats cruising the net while watching Top Gear/MotoGP/WRC at the same time.:D

8. John Kotches macrumors 6502

Okay, I'll ask the question that's on my mind.

How do you get dual monitor outputs from the Mini-display port adapter to drive dual external monitors... This is the MBP forum after all.

I've seen MiniDisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapters but these are for Dual-Link DVI cables for very high resolution monitors (2560x1600 and up). What I haven't seen is MDP to Two DVI outputs or a DVI and a VGA.

The only way I can see this working is by getting a mini-displayport to DVI and splitting from that to a DVI-D and VGA output.

But I don't know if that's possible.

9. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

I was going to say both . . . simultaneously.

10. Baffles macrumors regular

3 monitors are nice if you're utilizing them. My workflow on my desktop was such that 2 monitors were great, except I always had to switch to view email. I have two 23" Samsungs for my main screens (each is 2048x1152), and my third screen is one of my old Dell 22" 1680x1050 (it is actually running in portrait mode - 1050x1680, and wall mounted above my main screens). This screen is used for email, etc. Works great!

11. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Everyone becomes used to a certain amount of screens and then you work from there. Stock traders like to have ticker symbols on one, news on another, charts and graphs on a third, etc. For me, I just go with two monitors. I have considered 3 though!

The best way to go with a multi-monitor macbook solution is with the slightly overpriced Matrox Dualhead to go. i think they also have triple head to go. Let me grab the link... So here you go.

I have eyes that get annoyed at slight color differences between monitors that are side by side, and I'm a neat freak. So I think the only way I could do 3 monitors would be to have three of the exact same.

12. PAC88 macrumors 6502

ha, that's exactly how I am with color and resolutions on my monitor setups.. all the screens have to be exactly the same or else it won't feel right.
    thanks for that link you posted to the OP by the way. right now I've got the screens connected to my desktop but I was never sure if I could use them all with the mbp. that's interesting

13. highscheme macrumors regular

2 x 30" is best but 3 x 24" is probably cheaper