Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MichalCerny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2016
Hey, I have this macbook pro. I would like to have 3 monitors connected. I know there is limit for 2 monitors if you have integrate intel iris. So I bought belkin thunderbolt hub 2, but its not working because none of these 3 monitors don't have thunderbolt. So my question is: is there any other way? Why I can run macbook with 2 fullhd 27" + integrated retina 15" and can't run 3x fullhd 27" without retina in macbook? Thanks for help! :)
xYbk+

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Your picture isn't showing. Which MacBook Pro do you have exactly?

I'd say 3 x 1080p should be possible. The machine has three built-in display outputs, one for each.

MichalCerny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2016
Ok .. the question is. Why I can run retina display with 2 external instead of 3 external without retina, it's not make sense .. the retina will hurt Iris more than the external fullhd :/

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Ok .. the question is. Why I can run retina display with 2 external instead of 3 external without retina, it's not make sense .. the retina will hurt Iris more than the external fullhd :/
- Blame Apple's restrictions. I believe they're always supporting the same external capabilities whether using the built-in display or not. I suppose it's so people won't be confused if the built-in display goes black all of a sudden because you're taxing the GPU too much with external displays.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Hey, I have this macbook pro. I would like to have 3 monitors connected. I know there is limit for 2 monitors if you have integrate intel iris. So I bought belkin thunderbolt hub 2, but its not working because none of these 3 monitors don't have thunderbolt. So my question is: is there any other way? Why I can run macbook with 2 fullhd 27" + integrated retina 15" and can't run 3x fullhd 27" without retina in macbook? Thanks for help! :)
xYbk+

You bought a machine that stated very clearly in the specs that it would run 2 external screens and now you are complaining when it won't do three screens??? Surely you realise that you bought the wrong machine for the job...

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
- Will they do it, though? The issue isn't the number of outputs available, but some GPU, driver, or software limitation - and the Matrox units still use the machine's own GPU.
We've got two 2012 Mac Minis being used for rendering work and occasional office production work with 3 1080p displays and the set up is perfect for that type of work. It's not retina-quality, but it's suitable.

Also, we're using Accell cables with one Mini and Eizo cables with the second Mini - both cables serve to convey proper EDID info between the displays and Macs/PCs they're connected to (many of our display setups (including mine at home) are connected to two computers so that one can render/crunch numbers while the other computer can be used for other tasks. Most of the off-brand and branded display cables are junk IMHO. Also, IMHO getting a Mac and a display "talking" properly is a key component to using eGPUs and devices like the Matrox. Cheers.
[doublepost=1477584877][/doublepost]
You bought a machine that stated very clearly in the specs that it would run 2 external screens and now you are complaining when it won't do three screens??? Surely you realise that you bought the wrong machine for the job...
To be fair, you're making a valid, really good point here.

OTOH, I was realistic when I bought my personal late-2013 15" rMBP and was happy with it. Then 10.9.3 came out and Apple enabled 4k @ 60Hz and I was happier. Then 10.10.3 came out and Apple enabled 4k @ 60Hz on two displays and I was even happier. But, new stuff is being announced in about an hour. I'm waiting for Apple to issue a firmware update that will turn my 15" rMBP into a 17" rMBP... :D Cheers.

Reactions: JTToft

MichalCerny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2016
lol .. I bought MacBookPro so I can work anywhere, now when I'm not traveling and stay home I want more monitors. I didn't ask for your stupid deductions :)

UnluckyXIII

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2014
I know it's not a direct solution, and I don't know the workflow you are using The three monitors for so they might be the only option for you but at the end of last year I went from 3 x 24" Dell UltraSharp monitors to a single 34" Ultrawide monitor and it was the best decision I could have made, no more bezel compensation to consider, the resolution seems to be more common so stuff works better, sure I've lost some screen real estate but I was willing to take the hit to have a single monitor setup again. Although going from three 27" might feel like too much of a change...

Anyway, just food for thought :)

Deanster

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2005
lol .. I bought MacBookPro so I can work anywhere, now when I'm not traveling and stay home I want more monitors. I didn't ask for your stupid deductions :)

Quoting the published tech specs for your laptop is a 'stupid deduction'?

Hilarious, from the guy who is whining because his laptop that is spec'd for two external monitors won't run three external monitors. :)

Reactions: Samuelsan2001

MichalCerny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2016
You guys are so funny. I was asking one simple question. I didn't ask you to repeat tech spec from apple. I don't whining, I'm just asking why I can run 2fullhd monitors and 15" retina and can't run 3fullhd monitors without retina. If you don't understand this just ask your parents to not give you access to internet. Thanks :)

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
You guys are so funny. I was asking one simple question. I didn't ask you to repeat tech spec from apple. I don't whining, I'm just asking why I can run 2fullhd monitors and 15" retina and can't run 3fullhd monitors without retina. If you don't understand this just ask your parents to not give you access to internet. Thanks :)
Fine. You can run 3 displays, there are solutions out there for it, none are free. Seeing a bit of condescension here IMHO - as for "quoting specs", in your first post you asked "why". But, you didn't ask for a specific solution, and I've wasted enough time in this thread. I'll leave it to you to find them... :rolleyes:

Reactions: Nick.Xiao
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.