3 monitors

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mrdinh, May 7, 2012.

1. mrdinh macrumors regular

can macpro desktop use 2 monitors? using dual monitor currently...i assume i could buy another video card...does lion support 3 monitors?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You can use as many monitors are you want to use as long as you can find video cards to fit. Without having to modify the computer to add additional power connectors, you can put in 2x 5770s and drive 6 monitors, and get 2x GT120s to drive 4 more (for a total of 10 displays).

3. mrdinh thread starter macrumors regular

alphaod, so my standard macpro...currently only supports 2 monitor? no additional powers?

4. ndraves macrumors member

Don't know unless you tell us what graphics card you have?

Is it a 2010 MacPro with a standard ATi 5770? If so then you can support 3 monitors out of the box, my current setup.

One thing to note though is that with the 5000 series cards you need 2x mini displayport to a displayport compatible monitor plus a DVI monitor to get the three working. You can't use the simple adapters to convert the MDP to either DVI/VGA and still have 3 monitors working. If all you monitors are DVI then you'll need the active MDP-DVI adapters. Something I found out the hard way, but I use MDP-DP cables with Dell U2410M for 2 and DVI for the third.

5. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

I have a Mac Pro 3,1 and I am driving 3 23" LED monitors off my 5770 using two active DVI adapters. It really comes down to what video card you have more then anything, some will support two monitors some three.

6. unfrostedpoptar macrumors regular

Just to triple check: I have a Dell u2711 (2560x1440) which has DisplayPort and Dual DVI. It looks like the ATI 5770 in the Mac Pro could drive 3 of these at full resolution: 2 attached via DP and one via DVI. Is this correct?

My alternative idea is a 27" iMac and attach two u2711s via DP, but I really don't like the glossy screen.

FYI, I'm not a gamer. Mostly need the 3 screens for editors for programming and also watching some videos.

Thanks!

7. simplymuzik3 macrumors 6502a

Correct, that would work. You can buy 2 mini-DP to full size DisplayPort for 2 of the monitors, and the 3rd would be connected via dual link DVI. Should work perfectly. I do something similar with mine, except I have the 5870 and 3 x 27" Cinema Displays.

8. unfrostedpoptar macrumors regular

Thanks! That just leaves the question of whether it's worth almost $1500 more to go with the MP+3*u2711 vs iMac+2*u2711. I hate the glossy screen for reading text and I don't like all-in-one computers since I'm sure I'll want to upgrade CPU, etc before the screen.

I guess I'll just wait to see what they say in June...

9. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

It is rather difficult to upgrade a Mac Pro's CPU.

10. unfrostedpoptar macrumors regular

Figures... At least I could replace the MP without having to change my monitors. I could also upgrade RAM and video card.

11. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

That depends on which Mac Pro you have.

On the 2009, it's very difficult.

On the 2010, it supposed to be just as easy any other CPU swap.

12. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

On the 2010 it's fairly easy. There are lots of threads on this forum alone describing how people have done it.