3 month old MBP died :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Snikt, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Snikt macrumors newbie

My 3 month old MacBook Pro died on me yesterday. (13 inch non-retina)

I was using it and it had around 70 percent of its battery remaining when it suddenly died. We were about to watch a movie using the miniport display to vga adapter. I plugged in a pair of speakers when and boom, MBP no more. It won't even respond to the magsafe charger. The little green/red indicator is gone. :(

It's currently under repair, but I'm curious to know why this happened... Any ideas?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

When you sell over a million computers per month, a few are bound to have defects. Apple will take care of it, as it's covered by warranty.

3. MacKid macrumors 6502

Did the person repairing it tell you anything?

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Most likely the GPU, if there is kind of a load on the GPU, and it's gets too hot this might be the GPU dying.

5. Snikt thread starter macrumors newbie

That's true. I hope it gets fixed sooner than later.

I'm supposed to get an update today. At the maximum, it'll get repaired 7-10 working days.

Is there any eay to prevent this from happening?

6. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Not really, I guess it's just bad luck.

Not completely true though, if you are in a hot country like me and it's most of the time on the same desk a small fan might help to have a longer life out of the machine.

7. magbarn macrumors 68000

Considering that all 2012 MBP 13s have on-die GPUs I find this highly unlikely. Sounds like static charge or an electrical short circuit on your speakers. I'd be wary of plugging those back in.

8. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

Did you take it to an Apple store? 7-10 days seems like a really long time.

9. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

It's possible but unlikely, first the speakers need to be powered speakers for this to happen, second, the audio output is most likely separated from most of the rest of the Logic board and won't affect it, I say most likely, if an engineer did their job well a spike or short circuit on a port should not influence the computer part of the logic board.

But, as I said, it could be but unlikely.

10. Snikt thread starter macrumors newbie

This could be the problem. The speakers were the extremely cheap kind...
    Here's the speakers I used.
    No Apple Stores in the Philippines. :( only authorized resellers.

UPDATE: My laptop is now fixed. They reset the battery and it's working fine now. If something goes iffy, I'll be sure to notify the store I bought my MBP in.

11. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

If that happened in 3 months due to the gpu, it was a defective gpu anyway. Better to known now while it's under warranty. Watching movies isn't really that taxing on a gpu though.

12. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Good it is solved now, reset battery:confused: , probably the SMC, how can one reset a battery, that's not possible.:p

As for the speakers, highly unlike that this was the cause of the problem, they are fed by the USB (5 volts), doubt it this was the problem, probably just mere coincidence.