3 month old rMBP 13" Logic Board Died

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by punchwalk, Jun 7, 2014.

1. punchwalk, Jun 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2014

punchwalk macrumors regular

I ordered for my wife a 13" Haswell rMBP, and it arrived near the end of Februrary. A little over a week ago, the sound stopped working (the system could no longer see the Internal Speaker, and headphones didn't work either). I took it to the Genius Bar and was told that they'd try replacing the speaker, but that ultimately it was probably a logic board issue, which ended up being the case. Since it's still well within the warranty period, they ordered the part and performed the repair for free.

My question: How common is it for an rMBP logic board to die after 3 months? Does this mean my wife got a dud? I previously owned a 2011 15" MBP (non-Retina, obviously) for almost 3 years and never had a single problem with it. I sold it and bought a 15" Haswell rMBP shortly after they were released in October. I didn't buy AppleCare for either rMBP because I had such a positive experience with my previous MBP (which was also my first Mac).

2. iMacBooked macrumors 6502a

iMacBooked

This is really exceptional. Haven't had any issues with my rMBP 13" Haswell since I bought it in October. Apart from the keyboard freeze bug everyone was having directly after the release, but Apple fixed that in a week. Just bad luck, no need to be worried.

3. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Not normal at all. My 2011 MBP 13" ran perfect until I dropped it and that's not Apple's fault at all.

Its rare I would say.

4. Trvlngnrs macrumors 6502

Trvlngnrs

I haven't heard people complaining about it on the forum.

5. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Given the numbers manufactured it is normal that a very few have such an issue - that is what warranty cover is for. It doesn't seem to be in any way a pervasive issue and in no way indicates you got a dud.

6. adrianlondon macrumors 6502a

15" rMBP, bought in November last year, suddenly wouldn't boot up one morning just over a week ago.

I could hear the boot up sound, the Apple logo on the back of the lid lit up but the screen was totally black. Tried SMC and NVRAM reset thingies then took it to an official repair shop. They replaced the logic board stating it had failed.