3 More Police Killed

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by rhett7660, Apr 5, 2009.

1. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

Bad

March and April have been terrible months for this type of thing.

2. 11800506 macrumors 65816

My condolences go to the families of all of the recent killings as it really is terrible.

However, the article mentioned that the shooter may have done this partly because he feared that the Obama administration was poised to restrict the gun laws. I'm not trying to turn this into a PSRI thread, but wouldn't a shooting such as what he did just provide even more reason for stricter gun laws as well as the many other recent shootings?

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

If I were to respond, that would be the result.

4. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

the police already have too many restrictions on the weapons they carry in defending themselves against the SCUM tht obtain weapons ILLEGALLY.
    so NO, stricter guns laws/restrictions on the weapons police carry is definitely not the answer.

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Sad. My heart goes out to the families and friends.

6. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Very sad to have heard about this. My heart go to all and especially to the one officer who was off duty at the time and still responded to the incident.

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I don't think he was talking about restrictions for the police...

8. Phazotron Guest

Maybe.

The police are not omnipresent. They cannot protect all people at all times.

Furthermore the police are not legally bound to be your bodyguard even if you are threatened:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_v._District_of_Columbia

And your neighbors and /or witnesses are not bound to protect you either (outside of calling the cops):

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04012009/news/regionalnews/subway_rapist_victims_shock_162317.htm

Perhaps there can be additional screening before the purchase of a weapon, or something like that. But even if you enact that, there's no way of screening out "potential" psychos. Everyone knows somebody who they think is 'psycho'.

Ban all guns? OK, what do you do if your home is invaded, or if you're the woman in the above situation? You're f----d.