3 new iPhone 5 cases, none quite work for me

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Retired Cat, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

So far I have tried 3 candidates to replace or supplement my Incipio Frequency case. Results have not been encouraging.

Speck Candyshell: Looks good, and buttons have great feedback, but the rubber part started to shed after only a day or so. It also felt next to impossible to get the phone out of the case. I ended up returning it.

Incipio NGP: Supposedly a more low-key version of the Frequency, it is made of the same polymer. Like the Frequency, the volume buttons have excellent feedback, but unlike the Frequency, the power/lock button is surprisingly impossible to push. This case requires 2 mods to get it to work: 1) sanding down sharp edges 2) cutting one slice into the depression that borders the power/lock button to allow it to press. The Frequency required only sanding of the edges. Not worth it IMO.

Belkin Grip Candy Sheer: Almost, but not quite there. I like the nondescript looks. Power/lock button feels great. Volume buttons need too much effort and feel squishy. The polymer that Belkin uses is softer and almost velvety to the touch. The case overall feels a tiny bit too squishy, though I think it would protect the phone well in a drop. Molding seemed a bit uneven in the top and side areas where the opaque border meets the sheer back. I plan to return this one too.

So what are my options now? I think I may order a Spigen Tough Armor or Neo Hybrid. Switcheasy Tones might also work.

2. vmaniqui macrumors 6502a

vmaniqui

have you tried Spigen Ultra Hybrid (Air Cushion) ? they are pretty good. slim and with nice protection

3. webslinger85 macrumors 6502a

webslinger85

One persons idea of a perfect case isn't the same as the next. What's your criteria?

4. Retired Cat thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks! I'll check that out.

My search characteristics have been: 1) Not too bulky, so mostly TPU-type cases, but something like the Candyshell was fine even if it wasn't the slimmest. 2) Good button feedback 3) Nondescript design. Basically nothing in glittery, glitzy, or too colorful. 4) Comfortable to hold. 5) Easy to keep clean. I once had a silicone case for an iPod and the case was a magnet for dust and lint. Not an experience I want to repeat.

5. webslinger85 macrumors 6502a

webslinger85

Maybe check out the Spigen Tough Armor, Slim Armor, or Neo Hybrid

Tough Armor is my top case right now, i like it more than i thought i would, The only thing keeping it from being MY perfect case is the logo cut out

6. jayburd macrumors newbie

Here is a case review I did a few days ago. This may be what you're looking for.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1663851

7. reviewpro macrumors newbie

Have you tried otterbox case? Been using them for years. Had no problems with their case. Button feedback was great and the grip is excellent as well. However their case is little bulky, offers great protection for my iphone and iPad. Just bought my otterbox case here. If you are in the states, get it from otterbox store direct or amazon, shipping is cheaper.

8. Retired Cat thread starter macrumors 65816

I am actually considering one of the new waterproof Otterbox Preserver cases for use when camping. It's a bit bulky for everyday use though.

9. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

I highly recommend that case as well.

10. Retired Cat, Nov 9, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2013

Retired Cat thread starter macrumors 65816

Any opinion on the Diztronic Matte TPU case? It's rated 4.5 stars @ Amazon with almost 1100 reviews. Minimalist, looks easy to clean, and only $9/apiece.

If the case fits well, I think I might have found what I'm looking for

I ordered a black and a gray one. For a total of $18 and change shipped, these 2 cases cost about half of 1 Candyshell, and less than the $20 Belkin. Hope this works and I can stop banging my head against the wall looking for a permanent case. These will be the 5th model of case I've tried.

11. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Lower your expectations?

12. Retired Cat, Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013

Retired Cat thread starter macrumors 65816

I just received my Diztronic TPU cases and they are just what I was looking for!

Material is grippy but soft. Stealthy no frills design. Good button feedback.

Black case has just the Diztronic swirl logo on the back. Translucent aluminum case has the logo and the word Diztronic, but it's pretty subtle either way. Very happy! The black case goes best with the black iPhone and practically blends into the device. Translucent is more suited to the white iPhone but provides an interesting contrast with the black. No problems with screen protector. I'm going to use the black one right now, and keep Translucent as a spare or for when I want to change things up.