3 options for Design Student. Help me decide.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by onthat, Jul 14, 2006.


3 options for this student of Design, need advice.

Poll closed Aug 13, 2006.
  1. Refurb Powerbook G4 15"

  2. Decked Macbook

  3. Bottom of the line Macbook Pro in August

  1. onthat macrumors regular


    Feb 26, 2006
    Ruston, Louisiana
    So far I have collected exactly $1550 to put toward a new laptop for school, My options include:

    A) Purchasing a refurb 15" Powerbook

    B) Purchasing a decked Macbook

    C) Purchasing a bottom of the line Macbook Pro in August (hopefully my birthday will prove fruitful otherwise I won't be able to afford it)

    I have until September 1st to make a decision! I'll take this moment to repeat that I am indeed studying Design. Planning to do a lot of work in Dreamweaver, Final Cut, and the Creative Suite. The computer will have to get me through my next 6 years of college.

    I will have an education discount.
  2. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

    Apr 16, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I was going to say get the PowerBook because right now most of the software that you are using is PPC only. But sense this computer has to get you through the next 6 years, I would get the MacBook Pro in August. a higher end when run the latest and greatest software longer and the MBP has a dedicated graphics card which will be better for design.
  3. CrEsTo macrumors 6502


    Jun 23, 2006
    Wait and see what happens after WWDC, that way you can save some more money too.
  4. ham_man macrumors 68020


    Jan 21, 2005
    I'll ditto that.

    Also, you may want to look at getting a bottom of the line PowerMac as opposed to a laptop. It will definately last longer (in terms of the hardware still being "relevant" for what you need it to do) and give you more power to boot...

    pun intended
  5. onthat thread starter macrumors regular


    Feb 26, 2006
    Ruston, Louisiana
    I have to be able to transport it to class. Sorry, I forgot to mention.
  6. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030


    Apr 14, 2006
    Clemson, SC
    i say that if you can afford it, go for the MBP, but if not, then the maxed out MB. although right now the PB would be better in terms of the design programs, if this has to last you 6 years, then you'd better get what's going to be most supported (even if it's a jog down the road).

    i'm a graphic communications major as well, and i just traded my PB for a MB - i don't work with really massive files, so the video card shouldn't be a problem, and once CS3 is out, this thing'll kick my PB's butt (till then i'll just work on my G4 desktop, at school, or booted in XP).

    good luck with your purchase!
  7. steamboat26 macrumors 65816


    May 25, 2006
    Arlington VA
    i would concur with most everyone else and say wait for WWDC. After that, probably get a MBP, and if you find that it is not enough, upgrade it when you get the money.
    BTW: when you say a bottom of the line MBP, i would assume you mean 512 MB RAM. Tiger runs ALOT better with 1 GB+ RAM
  8. kaboutertje macrumors regular


    Jul 7, 2006
    Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Do you have a external screen? If you have I would buy the MB otherwise I would go for the macbook pro, I personally prefer a bigger screen (got the 12" ibook, and worked on the 13" macbook) and don't really like using photoshop on such a small screen. Some people seem to work fine on a small screen though.
  9. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603


    Apr 29, 2005
    San Francisco
    MacBook Pro all the way. Hands down. No more questions.
    After WWDC that is.

    it will last you 6 years, and if you need to you can use an external monitor on the thing, and you can take it with you.
  10. onthat thread starter macrumors regular


    Feb 26, 2006
    Ruston, Louisiana
    It is my understanding that the Macbook Pro display will have improved color accuracy over the Macbook, so why does apple claim that the Macbooks display is better? Is it sharper? Is it even HD?

    Will the integrated GPU in the Macbook work with 11x17 posters, we won't be working any larger from what the syllabus tells me.

    If I work in flash media, will the same integration spoil the experience?

    Gaming is not a concern of mine.
  11. Abstract macrumors Penryn


    Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    I actually don't think it'll matter whether you get the MB or MBP in terms of performance, dedicated GPU or not, but do get 1.5GB or 2GB of RAM on whichever laptop you get.

    I'd go with the MBP simply because of the higher resolution. If you can't afford more RAM because you bought a MBP rather than a MB, this can always be upgraded later.

Share This Page