3 Partitions 10.6.8, Lion DP3 and Windows 7 Bootcamp. Need help moving things around.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by kustomfreak, Jul 4, 2013.

1. kustomfreak macrumors newbie

OK..... I'm sorry if I am repeating a thread that already exists (though I don't feel I am because I couldn't find it). I have an early 2011 MBP 17" with a hard drive laid out like this...
    GPT 200MB
    HFS 506.35G Macintosh HD partition as Primary OSX partition with 10.6.8
    GPT 128MB
    HFS 75.36G Holds Lion Developer's Preview 3. (Installed it to check it out and haven't given a "flip" about it since)
    Unallocated 2.23G (separation between Mac stuff and bootcamp NTFS partition)
    NTFS 114.38G (I actually set up 120G but I understand that Windows reads disk space in binary bits/bytes... I know nothing's missing, Windows just does their own math!)

What I'd like to do: Remove the Lion Partition and Add space to my bootcamp partition which is almost full.

Tools available: Already created a System Image of W7 (there were a couple of bad clusters, even after chkdsk /f /r C:) but I feel like I have a decent (for what Windows can produce) system image. I also have a full data and C: drive backup/copy at hand. In OS X I have Camptune X and Winclone 3.7.

My plan: Having all the backups that Windows 7 can offer, I was going go into OS X 10.6.8 to run a Winclone 3.7 image of my boot camp partition. (extra backup?) After having that saved to my Snow Leopard desktop, I was going to attempt to use disk utility to eliminate that Lion Partition (delete and extend 10.6 partition into the free space) then use Camptune to extend my W7 partition. Of course as a fail safe, if Camptune fails, I have the winclone image to fall back on (as well as the Windows produced backups as a LAST resort).

My Question: I understand that losing partitions (i.e. the worthless DP3 Lion partition) can confuse the boot sequence/menu (alt at start) and potentially lose track of other partitions, i.e. bootcamp. I've also seen that most forums/threads on anything relating to this subject and the software involved has mostly been caused by user error. So.... are there any suggestions, steps to take, particular procedure order or anything that anyone can offer so I can ensure that I don't lose my ability to re-create my W7 bootcamp partition? I'm a lower level IT guy who uses my machine to function, recover data and troubleshoot across both platforms. I also have a lot of data recovery software, Adobe MS CS5.5, and a lot of other software that I can't re-install and re-lisence thanks to someone "cleaning" my home office fore me. I still love my wife, but we've since set boundaries! (Linux is a different machine, wasn't gonna go there with my MBP, lol)

I thank you in advance and hope you all had a great 4th!

Kevin

2. kustomfreak thread starter macrumors newbie

Update: Help!!!!

Ok.... So, I was up until 4am last night. I tried to run Winclone 3.7 and was given an error (paraphrased) 'unable to create image, try using chkdsk /b'. I ran that and at restart got the message that C: was CLEAN. Now, back in the 10.6 partition, trying to start the process of resizing my bootcamp partition, Camptune X does not recognize a bootcamp partition and Winclone STILL can't finish the image. Same error message. Any Ideas or help would be HUGELY appreciated.