<3 Powermac G4 <3

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Bennieboy©, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

blimey expected to see a thread in here about the old G4's lol

anyways, i'm making one in celebration of picking up a 2002 Mirror drive door

it's a Dual 867Mhz with 2Gb of DDR ram and two hard drives making up 300Gb lol
    and it's got the sonnet tempo 2 Port sata card :D so no more Ide abominations haha
    heres some pictures

Attached Files:

2. max¥¥ macrumors 6502a

I have one of these (733mhz 2001 quicksilver with sonnet 1.2Ghz cpu card and 15" acd display) and even though it is 9 years old it is still faster than my dual 2.0Ghz hp laptop, i also have a 400Mhz sawtooth g4

3. Bennieboy© thread starter macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

sweet, what do ya use it for?

i used to have a dual cpu 450 powermac G4 with 2Gb Sd100 ram, used to love it lol

4. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

I have a 867Mhz PM G4 Quicksilver,1GB ram,2 120GB HD's,and the original graphics card and Airport,running Leopard.Good old machine.I love it though I don't use it as much anymore.

5. max¥¥ macrumors 6502a

i don't use them for anything, the 2001 quicksilver just sits on my desk and looks cool:cool:

6. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

I had a g4 sawtooth ,1Gb ram,250Gb Sata 2.5' via sata to ide adapter,but the thing was a little slow when browsing web,and when I thought of upgrades I would spend more than it worth,so gave it to a friend.
    But it was a nice looking machine!

7. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

I had a Sawtooth with a 1GHz G4 upgrade. I can't remember the size of my HDs but I had 1.5GB of RAM in that puppy. It ran really nice but I got rid of it and got a Mac Pro to replace it. Now I don't have my Mac Pro and I use my MacBook Pro as my main machine hooked to a 23" Cinema Display. Love it.

8. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

Same here, Sawtooth, Sonnet 1GHz G4, 1.5GB RAM and two or three HDDs depending on the time frame. Last config was 120G HD with Leopard, 40G HD with OS 9 in non-classic mode.

9. Archon Gold macrumors 6502

733Mhz Digital Audio Model, I maxed out the RAM at 1.5Gbs, put in an 80Gb HDD, A USB 2.0 Card, and a Superdrive, pretty nice machine, it held me up for about 2.5 weeks when I gave away my Mac Mini. I plan to turn it into a media centre hooked up to my 37" LCD TV, But I have to get a wireless keyboard so that I can do so.

It's the powermac propped up against the wall with a original apple keyboard ontop of it. Yes, I know, this is the best iMac stand EVER.

[​IMG]

10. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Back in 2007, I had a Dual 1GHz Quicksilver that I bought as-is untested on eBay from a company. I paid 150 or so for it, IIRC.

I got it, hoping and praying I didn't end up with a dead machine. I figured if I did, I could probably recoup my costs by parting it out.

I got it about a week later, inside of a giant 22" CRT monitor box filled with packing peanuts. I pulled it out and it was in extremely decent shape, with no hardware or parts missing aside from a hard disk drive.

I installed a 160GB hard disk, 1GB of RAM alongside the 512MB, a USB 2.0 PCI card, and plugged it in. It booted perfectly. The previous owner even had installed a Radeon 9000 Pro card from a MDD G4 model.

Apparently the person who sold it didn't know how to plug in a Mac.

I sold it in March 2009, to help fund my Intel Corei7 PC build. I got about 500 dollars from it, locally, with a 19" CRT monitor, keyboard, mouse, and Leopard disc.

I miss it though, it was such a beautiful machine. G4s are way too slow for what I'd want to do with it, but one day I may pick me up a 733MHz model or an empty case or two, gut it out, modify a MicroATX PC inside of it without mutilating the case horribly, then turn it into a Hackintosh.

11. Xavier macrumors 68020

I have two PowerMac G4 MDD's at home. Both dual 1 ghz! But one has a broken power supply :(

12. Archon Gold macrumors 6502

I also have the guts of a 450Mhz Sawtooth PowerMac G4, mainly the motherboard, CPU, RAM, HDD, PSU, and Video Card. It's a fully functional mac, but I don't know what to do with it =\ Any ideas?

Also, by Guts, I mean it has no case. But I can still boot it properly with my Apple USB keyboard (the oldskool bondi-blue model)

13. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Out of all the Macs I've owned, the Powermac G4 is one I managed to skip for the most part. I really wanted a 1.42GHz MDD for the longest time because it was the last Mac that could house 4 internal HD's and 2 optical drives until the Mac Pro came along. Loved how they looked too. At this point, the only Powermac G4 I have ever owned is my Cube.

Attached Files:

14. max¥¥ macrumors 6502a

Nice cube, i have always wanted one

15. steveca macrumors 6502

I have both an MDD and a cube. I got the cube in order to show some work to my clients and to look cool. (actually also had another laptop for flash sites)

I bought the MDD (second hand) because I managed to kind of break the cube. The MDD mine is single 1.25Ghz is way faster than my standard 450Mhz Cube and actually both look great.

16. MacTech68, Apr 18, 2010
    Last edited: May 25, 2013

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Presently, I have a G4 Digital Audio 733Mhz. These ones had 256K L2 Cache and 1MB L3 Cache on the CPU unlike the 733Mhz Quicksilver which replaced it. It replaced my iMac Snow G3 700Mhz which died a few weeks ago and runs my website, proxy and update server.

The Digital Audio was a freebie that ended up costing more than it was worth. Somebody had "gone to town" on it. The heatsink, fan and shroud was missing, the Airport antenna assembly had been removed (quite a feat on the Digital Audio Tower), and three tracks were scratched right through near the hexagonal nuts that the CPU card sits on. Added to that, the original video card had been swapped to a Rage Pro 128 with 16MB RAM. :eek:

The whole Digital Audio & Video Card saga can be read here.

In addition to that one, is a G4 MDD but I'm yet to decide how to go with this one since I'm aware of a high failure rate on the PSUs in these and this one pumps out quite hot air from the PSU after only a short time powered up.

Oh, I guess I can include the B&W G3 tower with a G4 CPU? Took some effort to get the G4 NVRAM patch to stick to allow the G4 CPU!

EDIT: forgot to mention the G4 Cube in original box! :)