3 Powermac G4s for $300? read on please

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Eric Lewis, Jan 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

Whats AGP?

So i like the cinema display...but if i get the first one all 3 for 300....im sure i can get a display pretty cheap?

1) whats AGP?
    2) where can i get a cheap cinema display
    3) the 3/100 sounds good to me

2. iCube macrumors 6502

AGP is an "Accelerated Graphics Port." It replaced slower "PCI Graphics" in early Power Macs in 1999. AGP is a high-speed way for the video card to directly attach to the motherboard. It was later replaced with "PCI Express" in 2005 G5's. AGP is the shorter green slot for the graphics card in an "AGP Graphics" and newer Power Mac G4. It is next to the PCI expansion slots. I have a Power Mac G4 533 Digital Audio and I updated the AGP Graphics Card to an ATI Radeon 9000 Pro Mac Edition 128 MB VRAM to push higher resolutions and support Quartz Extreme running a 22" Samsung wide ratio 225BW LCD. ($300-350 retail) It came with an ATI Rage Pro 128 card with 16MB VRAM. It wouldn't push the 22" LCD without looking stretched. You can buy a PCI Graphics card to run in an AGP Power Mac, but it's a waste and much slower way to make use of a graphics card. AGP is very dedicated. PCI runs at 33MHz and AGP runs at 66MHz speed. It was bumped up to 1X, 2X, 4X and 8X speed. The iMac G3's in colors had AGP Graphics soldered to the motherboard (not expandable, but still AGP!)
    $300 is a good deal for 3 early G4's. The speed of the G4's is not bad. Add some 120GB Seagate HD's.
    You'll need a graphic card like mine or better to run a big display.
    That dual 800 G4 is pretty fast!!! If you don't need 3 Macs, get the dual 800, offer them $500. It has a SuperDrive (burns DVD's) a fair amount of storage (120GB combined) and a pretty decent amount of RAM. The 3 G4's are "Graphite" models, the Dual 800 is a better "Quicksilver" Power Mac.
    The 17" Apple Studio Display is not really a big display and surely not "Cinema."
    Download Mactracker and compare the models!! http://www.mactracker.ca
    I love my Power Mac 533 G4 Digital Audio!! I put two Seagate 7,200 rpm 120Gb HD's and a high speed USB 2.0 PCI card along with the ATI 9000 graphics card. I also added an external D-Link USB Bluetooth module.

Attached Files:

3. Eric Lewis thread starter macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

im just going to play around...hack them...install random stuff?

will the 3 be ok for basic web browsing msn...itunes jukebox?

and how would i hook them up to a 42'' LCD tv with VGA?

or where can i get a used ciema display?

4. iCube macrumors 6502

The 3 will be enough power for internet and iTunes! They will even be fine for youtube videos.
    Don't put anything bigger than 120GB Ultra PATA HD's, you can add extra 120GB HD's for extra storage (digital video) etc. But 120GB max on EACH!
    The 400 Power Mac and the 42" are DVI. VGA is for CRT monitors. The 400 G4 from the factory has VGA (analog) and DVI (digital). The stock cards won't run that 42" without making you dizzy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.