3 problems with my ipod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by kle83, Mar 20, 2012.

1. kle83 macrumors newbie

This is my first post here and I'm hoping someone will be able to help me out. A few days ago the screen froze on the apple logo. This happened to me about 9 months ago and I was able to fix this by restoring the factory settings. I can't seem to do this now because 1) when I plug it into my computer and try to connect to itunes, nothing comes up; it won't recognize it and 2) it will not charge at all (right before it froze; it was an almost dead battery). I left it plugged in the wall outlet and computer and will not charge.

After doing a lot of research the past few days and trying all these things people suggest to do, nothing works. I also saw that it could be a faulty USB cord? If that is true would I be able to use (borrow) someone else's USB cord (like for an iphone)? I don't want to waste money buying one if that's not really the problem.

Hoping I can get some ideas about how to fix these problems.

2. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

You don't provide much info . . .

What model is it?
    Is it jailbroken?
    Has it been dropped?
    Water damage?

3. iPhonemaster5S macrumors 6502

iPhonemaster5S

If it's anything like that above you might be in trouble but yes using another USB cable will work. If you do get it to charge try restoring to factory settings on the iPod itself.

4. TheGdog macrumors 6502

TheGdog

You could try getting a really cheap iPod cable from monoprice.

5. kle83 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know the exact model because I got it as a Christmas gift in 2009. So whatever the latest one was then, I guess. I got it from a friend of my mom's who got it for free with a purchase of a car- she didn't want it so she gave it to me. When I got it all I got were the ipod, usb cord, and earbuds.

I'm not sure what jailbroken means. Only in the past few days have I even seen that word from looking up stuff on how to fix it. I don't think it's jailbroken.

And no it has not been dropped or damaged by water.

6. chrisperro macrumors 6502

chrisperro

have u try DFU mode?or recovery mode?
    just google how to do it.
    try another cable for iPhone or iPad.

7. kle83 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried both DFU and recovery and neither work. I'm going to borrow a cable from someone, but it'll be a few days before I do that.

8. kle83 thread starter macrumors newbie

Before I get the cable I'll try the DFU and recovery modes again and see if it'll work this time.

9. brian1999 macrumors newbie

10. kle83 thread starter macrumors newbie

see post #5

11. kle83 thread starter macrumors newbie

I looked at this page for a reference and I know I have an 8GB so it looks like I have a 2nd generation. According to that it's older than I thought (first introduced in 2008)

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1353#iPod_touch_2nd_generation

Also, is there somewhere on the Apple site that I can type in my serial number and it'll tell me exactly when it was purchased and/or the model? I'm just curious....