3 questions about fan/heating on my Imac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by marcj2, Dec 15, 2009.

1. marcj2 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I bought an imac 27" i7 quad with 8gb so i can open a lot of programs at the same time with enough speed.

My Imac starts without any fan sound.....no problemo
    After an hour or so it begins... the fan begins making a louder sound ( i understand cause it gets hot and needs cooling) but...when i lay my hand on the left top ont the back of the monitor it is really hot... also no problem but i think it's strange that it get's so hot without even playing a game or any other heavy program running.

When i look at the temp. it's aboyt 53/55 degrees , when i look in a program called "Tweak 7" on my bootcamp partition it says: warning 55 degrees!

Ok, so i thought what will happen if i play a heavy game? So i installed Crysis...
    After 30 minutes the fan began blowing ( and kept on blowing ) so hard it became a little scary. I stopped the game and the fan kept on blowing like this for another 10 minutes!

Maybe someone can answer my 3 questions:

1. Is it normal that in normal conditions the the computer is about 53/55 degrees ?
    2. Can anybody else hear the fan getting louder after an hour working on your computer without running any heavy programs ?
    3. I thought it was possible to play games on an Imac, but i tried and the fan went nuts after about 30 minutes, does this mean i can't play any games without listening to a loud fan blowing because of the heating of the IMAC ?

2. Shawnstra macrumors regular

1. Yes it is perfectly normal for places like the GPU to be that hot even under light conditions. You can actually see the various temperatures of different part of the computers using istat (http://www.islayer.com/apps/) (either the menu or pro)

2. I don't think so, it should be about the same. Again with the above app, you can check the fan speeds.

3. I haven't tried this yet, so I can't really comment