3 Questions about iPads

Discussion in 'iPad' started by InsanelyApple, Nov 21, 2010.

1. InsanelyApple macrumors 6502

InsanelyApple

Before I get one I'd like to know a few answers to a couple of questions.

1) What is the advantage to an iPad over an iPod Touch.
    2) Besides web surfing and playing games, what can the iPad do?
    3) What model do you have? How much space have you taken up on it? How often do you download apps? (This is to help me figure out which model to get.)

Thanks for your time.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

1. Screen size

2. Anything you want, Pages, Numbers, Keynote, drawing, video streaming, presentations, reading... what do you want to do?

3. I have the 64 GB 3G version with about 40 GB filled with movies, music, and more

3. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

1. Totally diferent devices, iTouch is a iPod that can runs app, the iPad is a whole another thing, Apps can do so much more on the landscape settings, more powerfull and more working area. iPad fit more into a Netboot replacement. Mobility is also of course a diference, the ipad is larger so not really a pocket device

2. Loaded question, you can do as much as your imagination can take you.

3. I got the 32GB Wifi, plenty of space, when i ever need internet and no Wifi around i tether my Iphone4

4. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

1. Screen size. Resolution. Processor power and switching apps.

2. The iPad is very good for content assimilation in the field. It sucks for content creation; nevertheless, you are able to create content in the field in places where you just don't have a computer. As others have already said, you can easily read and modify spreadsheets, documents, and even complicated presentations if you are determined.

3. I have a 3G 64GB. I have never regretted it, but I have to admit that I do not come anywhere close to filling it up. In one single case that I can recall, I had to open a complicated multi-GB chunk of [file] that was presented on a secure FTP site in the form of a PDF. It took some time, but at least I could do it. I wouldn't have been able to do it on any other device that size...including a couple of netbooks I have seen.

And although I am not using the memory for this at the moment, I have put a few memories on it to watch in remote places when I wasn't sure what kind of connectivity and entertainment possibilities would be waiting for me when I got to where I was going.

5. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

1) Screen Size. The old jokes about it being a big iPod touch are partially correct in that the most visible difference is the screen size. However, the extra screen size makes it far, far more useful as a general purpose device than an iPod touch
    2) Personally, I use it for writing documents and spreadsheets, taking meeting notes, e-mail, accounts (via Kashflow.co.uk), watching videos, extending my iMac display, remote control of Apple TV, streaming spotify music to my music system, presentations, helping with the training and of my junior soccer team and working out tactics. In fact, pretty much everything (except, ironically, playing games :))
    3) I got the 32GB WiFi and I've got about 20GB free on it (I don't store much media on it as I use spotify for music and stream my movies straight from my iMac)

6. brberg macrumors member

Battery life

One of the biggest advantages that I haven't seen mentioned is the battery life of the iPad. If you need to watch movies, etc. and you're away from power for days at a time, the iPad can't be beat. No way could you accomplish this on an iPod touch unless you are charging it everyday.

7. ExnomenDei macrumors regular

As others have said, the difference between the iPod Touch and the iPad are mainly in size. However, size is a huge factor and one that is extremely hard to ignore. The iPad is much more capable in terms of giving an overview of everything going on, per examplem seeing entire web pages.

They run the same OS, but the two are very different in usage scenarios. I am typing this on my iPad, and I would not have done so on an iPod Touch.

8. Maagus macrumors regular

1) About the same as the difference between pocket TV and full HD LCD TV. Size matters.

2) I use it for reading, for watching movies in bed from my NAS, for work at clients, as organizer, GTD, as great distraction free device (when I want to read or do anything without distraction, I always do it on my iPad). Because my work consist mainly from working with web based software, I can do almost anything on iPad.

3) 16 GB Wifi. Have 14 GB free because I only have apps on it. I have movies on my NAS, ebooks on my Dropbox.