3 Questions about Time Machine for Apple Mac?

icen1ne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2009
University of Waterloo
Questions about Time Machine for Apple Mac?
1. When i use time machine, my computer will be backed up on the hard drive multiple times. but Will i still be able to copy files likes movies onto my hard drive since i need extra storage for my mac?

2. I have it formatted to fat32, so that i can transfer files to my windows pc. When i try to set up time machine, it asks me to reformat the HD. my question here is after reformatting, will i be able to use my hard drive to transfer files from windows to mac and vice versa???? transfering files was one of the reasons i got a external HD.

3. How fast will my hard drive fill up if its a 500gb external HD, and my mac HD is like 100gb???

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
1. Yes. Time Machine (TM) will back up to a folder called Backups.backupd.

2. TM needs to use HFS+ (Mac OS X Extended) as its file system.
You can partition your HDD via Disk Utility with one HFS+ volume (the first one) and one FAT32 volume if you like.
I did it at some time.

3. Depends on how much and how many big files you're handling on a daily basis. For example if you get in 100 new files, with some GBs in size, on a daily basis, and delete them after you are done, they will still be in your TM backup.
I have a 250GB HDD on my iMac and it took 3 months to fill another 250GB HDD with my TM backup.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
1. Yes, you can store other files in there too

2. You can create a new partition with Disk Utility and format it to HFS+ if you want to keep your FAT32 partition and its files

3. 500GB will be fine for you

icen1ne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2009
University of Waterloo
Another question about external hard drive.

Also i have been wondering if it is possible to boot windows (boot camp) from a partition on my external hard drive?