3 Questions & Concerns.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MBP13Guy25, Jul 3, 2010.

1. MBP13Guy25 macrumors newbie

1.) I can't seem to play a virtual game on my laptop, I got this laptop for college & some gaming but this virtual world game runs fine on my parents iMac and the iMac was a late 2009 24" 2.66 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo. 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3.

For some reason, it won't run properly on this laptop and it's an i5.

My laptop specs are:

15.4 Macbook Pro 2010
    Intel Core i5
    4GB Memory
    320GB hard drive1
    SD card slot
    Built-in battery (8-9 hour)b
    Intel HD Graphics
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M with 256MB

And the game requirements is:

Download for Mac OS X
    System Requirements:
    Mac running OS X 10.4.10 or newer with 512MB RAM
    (1GB recommended)
    and a video card with 128MB VRAM or more.

So can anyone tell me what's going on there? Thanks.

2.) When I first got my macbook pro 15" i5 2.4 ghz 4gb ram, the count cycle was 2 and coconut battery states its 3 months old, so when I purchased it, while at the apple store I opened it there it had 2 cycle counts. So far I've used 6 cycle counts, is that okay? Here's my info:

Charge Information:
    Charge remaining (mAh): 6925
    Fully charged: Yes
    Charging: No
    Full charge capacity (mAh): 6925
    Health Information:
    Cycle count: 8
    Condition: Normal
    Battery Installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA): 0
    Voltage (mV): 12521

And coconutbattery states:

[​IMG]

Are all these okay?

3.) I was just doing simple safari work, youtubing, and ichat. Just about 20-30 minutes I've always used istat nano widget from dashboard to monitor my temperature usage, then I just wanted to check my temperature if it's okay cos it was getting warm (not hot) just warm. And suddenly I saw GPU Diode -127F, I immediately surfed the web to see if it's a normal reading, I couldn't find much so I decided to restart my computer. Mind you, I just got this Mid-2010 macbook pro 15" i5 like 2 weeks ago so I figured there shouldn't be any problems and it's not a refurbish one either. Brand new. Anyways, back on topic, I saw the GPU Diode -127F, I restarted my laptop and the GPU Diode is gone. SO I read up some forums, saying the istat nano widget might be outdated so I got rid of it and reinstalled the new version 3 istat pro menu up at the menu bar because I bought it for $16. They make you pay for it now after 14 days so I figured why not since it's updated and you pay for it, probably better quality. So far I haven't seen the GPU Diode, I was just wondering if anyone has had that with the istat nano widget. Is it something I should bring to the apple store to check anything? Since this is my first mac and all, tend to worry especially when it's an almost 2k worth of machine. I even called up apple and the guy said it's fine but the minus sign do worry me quite a bit.

:apple: 15" MBP Mid-2010 i5. :apple:

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

1) You probably need to download additional drivers for the new hardware.

2) Your battery is fine. Search for numerous topics on the same subject.

3) It's probably a software issue with iStat nano. Why would you even bother bringing it to the Apple Store? They won't give you any help with 3rd-party widgets in the first place.

3. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

#2 Battery info is fine. Just always make sure to calibrate once every month or two to keep the battery in optimal condition!

4. kevinli123 macrumors newbie

Macbooks pro 15" i5/i7's run hot. Your computer is fine. It will be pretty hot if you play games though so watch out.

5. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

Dont know about 1 or 3

But your battery is fine, my MBP is 8 months old, has 115 charge cycles and still has 95% charge capacity. My advice on your battery is not to worry about it, just use it how you want to. If you dont use the battery often, calibrate it every month or two.

6. magamo macrumors 6502

I have iStat Menus on my MBP. But it seems their products may report the wrong temperature when it comes to GPU Diode. Actually it says my GPU Diode is at -197F (negative one hundred ninety seven degrees Fahrenheit). I've been using this machine more than a year and never had a major problem.

7. MBP13Guy25 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for your replies!

What additional drivers must I need to add? I have no idea how to go about that, can someone give me a link or something?

8. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Make sure your Mac is up to date. Go to the apple symbol at the top and choose update or software update.
    Then if your game still does not work. Uninstall it, including preference files. Reboot. Then reinstall it.

As far as number three, 127f is probably normal. I mean what is that in celsius? 60c? As far as it not working anymore, do the same as the game. Uninstall, remove any other associated files with the program(both versions in this case), reboot, and reinstall

9. magamo macrumors 6502

I think what's ridiculous is the fact that we get a "negative" number there. I don't think it's normal for a laptop to operate at -197F (or -127C). It's kind of too cool, I guess.

Anyway, I googled for "istat" and "GPU Diode," and it seems some people are also having the same problem. So I'm guessing it's just a minor software issue.

10. MBP13Guy25 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried that 2 times, this game is actually called vSide. I have no idea it's not cooperating with this laptop. It forced the GPU Diode again when I tried 2 nights ago as if it's not handling it well. Weird..I've deleted and uninstalled anything associate with the game in library - application support folder, rebooted and let the laptop cool off tried it again 2 days later, still the same. I've tried it for at least 2 times within 2 weeks cos I got this laptop 2 weeks ago. This 15" mbp i5 is the low ends, could that have anything to do with it? I highly doubt it lol.

Oh and my laptop is up to date :)

11. MBP13Guy25 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just googled that right after I read what you said and yeah, I guess it's nothing to worry about, probably an update about it will come about in the future. :) I still have the new version 3 istat menu, whereas you pay $16. So I guess since you pay $16, it should be more precise and updated. Yet it's a third party software, I won't expect much.

12. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

i5 and i7 processors get pretty hot, as the G5s did. Not too good for laptops :eek: But its 100% normal.

13. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Are you sure you are removing everything? There are settings files stored outside of the application folder similar to how windows uses the registry. Google how to remove all associated files to this game.
    Otherwise you are stuck waiting for either a game update or Mac driver update.

14. iambasil macrumors regular

2) you're battery is in perfect nick. It is typical to have a few cycles already when new and yours is showing a higher capacity than the thoretical max when new. Take good care of your battery and fully charge/discharge it regularly (at least once a month). After 838 cycles in 4 years I've still got 93% of the original capacity available. According to apple it should typically decrease to 80% after only 300 cycles.

3)iStat can show extreme temperatures when it can't get a valid reading sometimes. My Heatsink A always either shows a '-' or '126C'. I don't for 1 second believe that it is actually 126C. Nothing wrong with your computer. Relax and enjoy it.