3 questions on iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Edandlindz28, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Edandlindz28 macrumors regular

I need some help because I can't figure it out.

Lets say you you have two folders one title 1. DAVE MATTHEWS and the other 2. Dave Matthews Band. You want to take all the sub folders out of #1 and put them under #2 and then you delete #1. When I go to play a song that was orignally in #1 I get an "!" and then I have to locate it in #2. Is there a way to get around this?

Then I have some songs that are in all CAPS like folder 1 above. I click on all of the songs that are capitalized, and get info. I try to type in the new name Dave Matthews Band, but it does the auto fill in of the CAPS. Can I turn the autofill off?

And last but not least, Album artwork. I tired to ove some art work over from google to iTunes using the drag and drop method, but the album does not show up. Can I copy and paste the artwork somewhere? In the Music folder?

Thanks for help.

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

There's a preference in iTunes to consolidate songs (in the Advanced menu), use it before you delete #1. Alternatively, you can select the pref in iTunes preferences that copies music and keeps your library organized.
    Sorry I didn't fully get your problem the first time around. There's no way to do that afaik, but if you follow what I've striked above you can keep all your music sorted in a folder you specify in the iTunes preferences.
    No, and I understand your pain. I hate that so much :(

Where are you dropping it on?

3. Edandlindz28 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, for the last part I tried dropping into iTunes where the album artwork displays what you are playing in the lower left hand corner.

4. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Click on the song (or all songs in the album) and go to File>Get Info :)apple: I). You can drop the image on to the Artwork tab, or also paste it in if you have copied it onto your clipboard.

One way I work around the autofill is that I change a letter in the middle of the word first. This forces iTunes to see that you are trying to type something different.

irmongoose

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

well first consolidate the songs in iTunes if its already organizing your music, it has two folders because its reading them as different artists because of the different names. so in iTunes you'd find the songs with the name DAVE MATTHEWS and change it to Dave Matthews Band.

i dont know of a way to turn the autofill off, its a pain to work around, but possible.

you can drop it in the get info window for an album.

6. Edandlindz28 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the help. Got the album artwork figured out. I did my best on renaming with out the caps, but I guess I will have to deal with it for the time being.

Looks a lot better know.

7. glennp macrumors member

Don't do this in the Finder, that's why you get the "!". In iTunes, select all of the DAVE MATTHEWS songs and Get Info. Enter Dave Matthews Band in the Album Artist field. Voila! No more DAVE MATTHEWS folder, all items have been moved into the Dave Matthews Band folder. However, in iTunes, the Artist field will still show Dave Matthews and Dave Matthews Band. You'll have to edit the Artist field for all songs to make them all the same.

You can't turn autofill off but you can change the autofill. Just add an extra character to the beginning or end of the field in question and then adjust the case properly and delete the extra character when done. Next time you use autofill, it will have the correct case.

8. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

First of all, I'd strongly recommend letting iTunes manage your collection, unless you have some special need for not doing it (like keeping half of you music on your computer and another half on an external, or something).

IF you are letting iTunes manage...forget about the files themselves forever and ever. Only manage your music through iTunes. In your example, all you'd have to do is rename the artist from "DAVE MATTHEWS" to "Dave Matthews Band" and iTunes would move the folder accordingly. That way, you never end up with missing files, like you are experiencing now.

I know that doesn't help the current situation, but it will help next time. Good luck!