3 second audio blank every time I start a video

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by InternetDude08, Dec 20, 2015.

1. InternetDude08 macrumors regular

So new Apple TV, had it about a month and a half. The problem I've had since day 1 is this... when I play any video, be it Netflix, YouTube, app, etc. there is always no audio for the first 3 seconds. The video plays fine, just no audio for 3 seconds, every time.

I thought it was a software glitch so I didn't report it or do anything about it, I figured I'd get an update and i would be fixed. That's not the case.

Before I contact Apple support do you guys have any ideas?

2. WigWag Workshop macrumors 6502

WigWag Workshop

I had this happen a few times, I just restarted the stream. Looking forward to seeing if others are having this issue.

3. InternetDude08 thread starter macrumors regular

4. Poontaco macrumors regular

I'm guessing your Apple TV is connected to your TV first, and then to a receiver with an optical audio cable.
    And your receiver is set to "straight" or Direct mode.
    The delay is from the receiver switching between stereo and surround modes.
    You can either use a receiver that has an HDMI input or set your current receiver to surround as default.

5. InternetDude08 thread starter macrumors regular

I do not use a receiver. HDMI from the Apple TV to the TV. I have a Bose system hooked up via digital optical but even if I disconnect that I still get the 3 second delay.

So I went back, disconnected everything but the Apple TV & the TV, just one HDMI between the two. I went into Settings on the Apple TV, set audio to surround. I checked for software updates and did a restart.

There is still a delay of 2 seconds. I've ruled out any extra devices.

The only thing left I can think is to try it on another TV, here I was hoping other people have experienced the same thing, I guess not really.

6. Poontaco macrumors regular

Interesting. It sounds like it MUST be your TV. It doesn't cope well with the PCM audio the Apple TV gives it.
    Out of curiosity, what TV is it?

7. waw74 macrumors 68030

what happens with surround off?

it could be a pause while your TV is figuring out it has to convert back to stereo to come out the speakers on the TV

8. sladey macrumors regular

Has anyone solved this yet? I have about a 7 second delay going from ATV4 through HDMI splitter with optical out into my Bose Lifestyle 35 optical port. This is the only way I can get both surround sound AND sound with the TV off but the delay is really annoying/

9. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Get some modern HDMI cables. Plus I bet your using at least a 5year old HDMI cable.

10. Bram.96 macrumors member

Bram.96

There is no 'modern' HDMI cable, the results are the same as an old one. It might be better to buy a new one because the old one might have a defect but don't buy one for more then $10-$15

11. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

You ever heard of HDMI standards and 4K huge data requirements?

12. Bram.96 macrumors member

Bram.96

Yes, there are high speed cables and 'normal' speed cables but nowadays high speed are the norm. The thing is that the Apple TV doesn't even output 4K. An HDMI cable made for a 1.4 plug will have the same results on a 2.0 plug and you should never ever buy one of the extremely expensive ones, since HDMI is a digital signal.

13. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Yes but cable bought 4-5 years ago won't be able to stream correctly!

14. Bram.96 macrumors member

Bram.96

Yes it should, the difference 1.3 vs 1.4 consisted mostly of 3D, 4K, ARC and Deep Color, all things that the Apple TV doesn't make use of when streaming movies. It could be that the cable is busted, but you could check that on other devices. And once again, if you do need a new cable don't buy an expensive one. It's one of the biggest myths in tech nowadays. But we don't even know if the OP has an old HDMI cable

15. fpnc macrumors 68000

I have a slight delay on the audio, but I don't think it is 3 seconds, more like 1 to 2 seconds. Also, I never had any problem like this on my other Apple TVs (only started to happen with the newest, 4th generation release).

16. Bram.96 macrumors member

Bram.96

Is it hooked up to a receiver? Mine does the same thing, but that's because the receiver needs to switch between stereo and surround signals

17. SimonTheSoundMa macrumors 6502a

Switch click sounds off in the menus. When the click plays it at 44.1kHz, switching to a video plays in 48kHz or AC3. Some receivers or TVs take a second or two to switch sample rates, my Sony receiver certainly does.

18. sladey macrumors regular

Still no joy for me. I have new HDMI cables. I have no clicks on my Apple TV. I have set my Apple TV to always output surround sound so the receiver doesn't have to do any switching. There was a slight change following that change of setting. Before it seemed like there was a loud click which my receiver was autoattenuating. Now there's just a 3 second delay so I still miss the first 3 seconds of audio for every clip.