Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chelsel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2007
I have a new MBP 2.4GHz 2Gb RAM with only the Activity Monitor, Finder and Dashboard running. How come it takes about three seconds just to start the calculator!? That is crazy... I'm coming from Windows where it's virtually instantaneous... can someone please help me figure out how to get better responsiveness out of the system. 2.4GHz should fly.

Thanks,
Cliff.

chex

macrumors regular
May 17, 2007
it's coz it's new

OS X has optimisation code built into it and as it figures out the programs you use they get faster and faster.

The first day I had it Firefox took 9 bounces to start, now it takes 2.

Calculator doesn't even get through a bounce before it opens for me (2.2GHz)

Juggler9000

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2007
I just opened it for the first time in a year or so on my 12" PB 1.5, and it took about four bounces. I closed calculator and waited a few minutes. Reopening it took less than a complete bounce. I'd say just use it a few times and let it optimize a bit...

TimJim

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
once you run your programs regularly everything will go faster, same type of stuff happened when i got my MBP

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
just as the calculator reaches its maximum height, it opens. i.e. half a bounce!

balkhov

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2007
once you run your programs regularly everything will go faster, same type of stuff happened when i got my MBP

This made me giggle. I'm used to Windows where everything starts out ok but then goes slower and slower. Can't wait to get the MacBook I ordered! Bye bye Windows, why hello there OS X.

Royale w/cheese

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Ha, my 400mhz Sawtooth took 2 seconds to open calculator, and that thing takes a while for me to even push the power button. :rolleyes:

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
It's a Calculator... it's not an issue that it took 3 seconds to start. Sounds like you bought a top-notch system that you use for e-mail and web browsing.

scienide09

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
Canada
Even if you expect your system to be really fast, is 3 measly seconds enough to warrant a full thread? You would have spent more time loading a browser, navigating to the forums, and typing/posting your complaint.

Anyway, the optimization thing works, so give it time.

Adamo

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2006
I JUST got my Pro, just loaded it up and came into this thread first.

I use the calculator a fair bit, so tried it out.. around four seconds.

Tried it again, less than half a bounce!

All is well. :)

freeskier989

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2007
I had a similar question...

I noticed that after a reboot, that the first time i open things it can take longer than usual, but each time after that (without rebooting) they come up lighting quick (2.4 macbook pro SR 17"). How come this "memory" seems to get wiped out when rebooting? I use sleep for weeks at a time so not too big of a deal.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I noticed that after a reboot, that the first time i open things it can take longer than usual, but each time after that (without rebooting) they come up lighting quick (2.4 macbook pro SR 17"). How come this "memory" seems to get wiped out when rebooting? I use sleep for weeks at a time so not too big of a deal.

Are you talking about Dashboard items? Or apps?

Adamo

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2006
You're right. I've rebooted a couple of times now, clicked once..takes one bounce to load. Close and click every other time and it's half a bounce! Not that I'm complaining. :)

freeskier989

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2007
Applications are the ones showing the lag. So i launch an icon for the first time, say photoshop cs3, it takes a bit longer than usual, but then every time afterwards, its almost instant. I just upgraded to 4gb of crucial ram, but would doubt that this is having an affect on launch times.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Pre-binding, perhaps? Though I thought Tiger apps were bound on install. Perhaps only the ones that use an installer and "optimize". Not sure if CS3 falls into this category, or if it was a drag & installable app.

freeskier989

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2007
Interesting enough, all apps seem to go through this on my system. AI CS3, 25 seconds first time, 5 seconds to launch every time afterwards. VLC, Quicktime 7.2, Speed Download, all slower first time launch from restart. Fine once you have opened once, has to have something to do with the binding/prebinding. I can go and manual run the prebinding on the command line, but not sure if that will do anything or if its natural to have it slow the first time launching, and fast every time from there on out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.