3 strikes and you're out!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by joshlalonde, Aug 13, 2014.

1. joshlalonde macrumors 6502

joshlalonde

This actually has very little to do with the MacBook Air, but I would like to present my problem in a general manner that anyone could respond to.

Starting with a generalization. I purchased a device that I had to replace twice and now I'm facing a third replacement. The problem is not my fault, and it's still in warranty.

Specifically, I purchased a Surface RT from Microsoft on launch. The SD card reader was broken and it took three units to get a working Surface. However, that surface has developed a problem with the volume button not working. I'm not alone and I didn't damage it by dropping it, etc.

In general, do you think it's justified for me to expect a *full* refund? If it was Apple, would you want a full refund rather than another replacement device? Instead of getting another Surface RT that's now out dated, I would prefer to buy an iPad so I can take advantage of continuity and all the apps the Surface lacks.

2. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Sounds like you're outside of the refund window, don't expect to get a refund.

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I don't know if "refund window" even applies to Microsoft. Seems like an oxymoron to me, at least with MS.
    Try your local Microsoft store (do they still exist?), or call Microsoft support for help.

I know that Apple will sometimes replace systems with whatever is current, anecdotal, but you can read about some on this site. One common one has been replacing a PowerMac G5 with a MacPro.
    Maybe MS will replace your pos Surface RT with a Surface Pro 3…
    (or maybe that's the "3 strikes" that you are referring to :D )

:rolleyes: (snort!) - hahahahaha-ahaha-ROFL tears in my eyes… )

Sorry, I did hear the SPro3 is pretty nice, so maybe that's a bit unfair. (but, I'm not checking out that theory)

4. joshlalonde thread starter macrumors 6502

joshlalonde

Well I got the extended warranty and after my device was replaced, my warranty is extended to January 2015. So I'm certainly eligible for a replacement. I don't want to replace it with a last gen Surface. >_>

I'll let you know what happens, but I'll call MS tonight. Worst experience ever... I was probably one of the most loyal too! I got a Windows Phone, bought a surface and installed 8.1 on my laptop. I feel like I got burned :/

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I guess you have to convince MS that you are "eligible for a replacement"

Winphone - SurfaceRT - Win8.1

You just know how to heap shame on yourself :D
    Get too close to the fire and sometimes you know what happens :p
    (Are you expecting sympathy from a Mac discussion site?)

6. joshlalonde thread starter macrumors 6502

joshlalonde

Well, I wanted to know what you guys would do if you were in a similar situation. I don't want to hear pro MS fans go dude no stick with windows, Macs suck, blah blah.

Just an honest, impartial opinion. Hahaha who am I kidding?! XP I mean, what would you do if Apple gave you 3 fault MBAs in a row?

7. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

When did you get the third Surface? See, that makes all the difference right there. Microsoft had a lot of new stock not being sold, so I'm pretty sure they weren't actually refurbishing any of it a few years back. Maybe two years later they are, and you should think about getting yet another replacement.

Give it another go. You can always sell that unit to help pay for an iPad, or at least a keyboard for it (if you want it).

8. joshlalonde thread starter macrumors 6502

joshlalonde

I got it last August. Again , its still in warranty. I don't want another one. Broken or not, its now last gen. Sigh, I hope I'm not being unreasonable.

9. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Well it's been almost a year, so I think a refund is a out of the questio. It doesn't hurt to ask, but I wouldn't expect it. I would just have them replace the unit, selll the unit and move on.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I think this the best course of action.

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Seeking refund after that much time has passed is only slightly unreasonable; however, I would definitely say that you should do as the above poster suggested and get a new one and sell it. Be done with it.

12. joshlalonde thread starter macrumors 6502

joshlalonde

Well the problem has been here for only a few short months after I had it replaced, but believe it or not, it was highly inconvenient for me because I am busy. It doesn't make much difference time wise.

I contacted Microsoft and it sounds like I might be able to. Just needed to get my receipt which I didn't have at the time. I'll let you know what happens.

13. iBanker macrumors regular

Able to... get it replaced or a refund?

14. joshlalonde thread starter macrumors 6502

joshlalonde

15. mwa Suspended

mwa

I wouldn't expect anything out of Microsoft, judging by my own past experiences using Windows stuff.

I would, however, raise hell with them and let them know I was unhappy. People have problems with Surfaces; it's not hard to find unhappy customers. It's not the most well reviewed tablet out there...