3 tb time machine or???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CultHero, Nov 8, 2013.

1. CultHero macrumors 6502

I have a gen 1 airport extreme but with the portability of the macbook I just bought I want to get the new time machine with 3 tb drive. Is it the best option out there? Are there others that have built in drives and support the fastest wifi? I have no problem popping for it if it is the best option, but don't want to just pay for the apple logo

2. mneblett macrumors 6502

I purchased a 2TB ac Time Capsule instead of the 3TB -- by the time I need 3TB, larger drives will be available for less than the $100 difference.

As to other router and back-up options, there are certainly great choices -- the ac version of the Asus 66 series has range slightly better than the ac Time Capsule, and more user-customizing features.

I went with the Time Capsule because the ac performance is still excellent, I don't need the extra settings options, and staying in the Apple eco-system made my life easier -- I have precious little "me time", and the total hardware/software compatibility means that I'm much more unlikey to have to spend that time on configuration and compatibility issues.

FWIW, I'm not an Apple fanboy, but where 25 years ago I enjoyed spending great quantities of time putting together PCs from parts, I'm now at a point in my life where I am Apple's ideal customer: someone who wants top-level hardware/software that, pardon the Jobs-ism, "just works" out of the box, because I no longer have the luxury of giving major tinkering time commitment to new gear.

3. CultHero thread starter macrumors 6502

you just described me. Ha. I have three little kids, I had linksys routers etc in the past and was always tweaking them etc. My airport extreme has never failed me.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There is nothing else like the Time Capsule with the drive and router all in one. I have the latest AC version and really like.

There are users here that are fans of buying a separate router and some sort of NAS device for backup. A NAS can be faster for storage and some have more features than the Time Capsule, but this comes at the cost of added complexity IMO.

If you just want a simple, all in one backup solution the Time Capsule is a great option.