Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SonicChronicler

macrumors member
Original poster
Couldn't see anywhere else where this was mentioned, but feel free to bash me about the head if I've missed it somewhere.

Here in the UK, 3 have just announced a new set of plans for Mobile Broadband using a USB Dongle that start at just £10

http://www.three.co.uk/personal/products_services_/mobile_broadband_/index.omp

Price plan Data allowance Price per month
Broadband Lite 1GB £10
Broadband Plus 3GB £15
Broadband Max 7GB £25
On all plans, if you go over your limit, you pay 10p per MB

On an 18 month contract you get the modem free for a limited time.

I almost signed up with T Mobile at the weekend, they were charging £29 a month for their 3GB - althought they term it 'unlimited' and may restrict your usage if you go over. I think they do have a special deal if you take a phone plan as well.

The other (theoretical) advantage of the 3 plan is that, they are moving to "Turbo" from September which will give HSDPA speeds when you are in a suitable reception area.

I'm really thinking of doing this through 3 - at last, using your laptop on the go seems to be cost effective, although I have a few questions I need to check out with them.

1. Can you still use the modem in areas that aren't covered by 3G or Turbo?
  2. Can you use it for Skype etc? (you need a more expensive plan with T Mobile)
  3. How do you know when you are reaching your limit?
  4. How soon can you get it to me? :D

I'm already a 3 customer and I'm happy with their service - especially today because they dropped my monthly charge from £35 to £10 (with more minutes and a few less texts) when I said I was going to leave them.

Anyone used one of these dongles on another network? (T Mobile / Vodaphone) Thoughts anyone?

Sonic

SonicChronicler

macrumors member
Original poster
I have a few questions I need to check out with them.

1. Can you still use the modem in areas that aren't covered by 3G or Turbo?
  2. Can you use it for Skype etc? (you need a more expensive plan with T Mobile)
  3. How do you know when you are reaching your limit?
  4. How soon can you get it to me? :D

Replying to myself here, but in case anyone is reading....

I spoke to them earlier and got passed aropund between a few people before anyone really knew anything about it (service hasn't actually launched yet)

Yes it will still work (although obviously a lot slower) in non 3G/HSDPA areas
Yes you can use it for skype (T mobile only allow this on the most expensive plan)
Not sure about the reaching your limit thing.

I'm in. Ordered.

Sonic

zowie

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2008
using 3 mobile broadband on mac

I'm using the 3 uk mobile broadband on my mac and I'm pleased. You can go to your online account and check your usage. I bought it because you get 50% off if you have a 3 mobile. so I'm paying 7.50 for 3 gb. When the modem is powered up to your usb port, if it flashes a blue light if your connected to 3g. I've only used it here in London and have been pleased with the speed. I'm using the Huawei modem, the white one.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Wow for once UK get's ******** prices than Ireland.

I had 3 usb broadband, 10GB package for €19.99 a month for the last 12 months.

7GB at £25 = €32 Seem's like an awful rip off to me.

Heck I just switched to O2 and get 10GB for €30 and much faster speeds than on 3.

zowie

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2008
speed

The advertise 2.8mpbs, When I checked here in Croydon I was getting just under 2.0 mpbs.

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
Warning: If you go over your limit, 10p/MB may not sound much but that works out as £100/GB. So install software to track your data usage and regularly check the operator portal to ensure you don't go over.

You can use Three Mobile Broadband for pretty much anything, afaik - it doesn't have the terms attached that T-Mobile's does. However, T-Mobile wont charge you for going over your limit.

In terms of low latency and high speeds, Vodafone currently offer the 'best' service in the UK, also providing 3GB for £15/month. They charge £15/GB if you go over your limit.

Mobile Broadband is booming here in the UK. Things are changing fast, so avoid being tied down to lengthy contracts. We've discussed mobile broadband further here: http://www.talk3g.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5339

manicula

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2008
Three USB Modem for Mac

I went with Three "Pay As You Go" for usb broadband for my mac. For my needs (I have broadband at home and don't always need it on the move) it's great.

The Huawei E160G costs £49.99 and then you're not tied up with a contract.
You just top up on line (and less fear of an escalating 10p per mb bill as no contract/bill)

You have the same pay options as below. Each option only lasts a month but, if you don't use it for a month, you pay nothing. Also you can track data usage online;
Broadband Lite 1GB £10
Broadband Plus 3GB £15
Broadband Max 7GB £25

I'm generally with T-Mobile and I tried their usb modem deal (I noticed approx the same speed HSDPA connection) but didn't want to be tied into a 12/18 month contract so went with Three PAYG... and highly recommend it.

Henderson T

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2009
What is the actual download rate you get ?

Current mobile broadband providers are offering download limits of between 1 - 15Gb per month, which means it would not suit anyone who has to regularly transfer large files.

Equally, if you spend hours on YouTube, or listening to internet radio, or can't resist online pirated movies, mobile broadband is unlikely to suit you - unless money is no object. For that reason, mobile broadband is unlikely to replace ADSL or cable any time soon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.