3 Unrelated Questions (Internet/Embedded Videos/Keyboard)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ohlund, Dec 18, 2007.

1. ohlund macrumors newbie

Ok, so I purchased a 20" iMac (OSX 10.5) about a week ago, and I have a few questions:

1.) For some reason I can no longer load the website http://www.what.cd I tried using firefox and safari and neither would load it, but it loads fine on my PC and it used to load fine on the Mac until a couple days ago.

2.) Youtube videos work fine, but embedded ones do not. The videoscreen is transparent (with the exception of the play button sometimes), then once the video starts playing, I can see the video, and gradually more of the horizontal bar as the video plays. Oh, and also, I have to position the video in my browser so that a piece of the embedded video is being covered by the browsers toolbar in order to see it, otherwise its completely transparent (unless im scrolling). If that made any sense to you, it made more sense than it does to me. (I tried upgrading/installing windows media player, flash, java, quicktime, realplayer, flip4macwmv but nothing helped)

3.) Is there anyway to enable the 'home' and 'end' keys to jump to the beginning and end of a line of text (respectively) as it does on a PC?

Thanks!

2. unknown.exe macrumors member

unknown.exe

Reinstall OS X. If that doesn't work then OMG! mac has a big-ass bug on their hands. But for some reason I think it is your internet connection not interacting well w/ you new mac.:apple:

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Doublecommand I believe can do this:

http://doublecommand.sourceforge.net/

Apple-left and Apple-right do this already. This thread talks a little bit more about what the shortcuts are on Macs, in case you decide you're using Macs more than PCs and you want to stick with the way Apple used.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=272542&highlight=home+end+keys

4. ohlund thread starter macrumors newbie

Really? I've never heard of reinstalling an OS to fix an internet-related problem. I guess I don't really have any other options though.

Thank you thank you thank you!

edit: I should have mentioned that I haven't installed any Leopard updates, because at some point, it stops being able to interface with Pro Tools and that's a bad thing :eek:.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I wouldn't recommend that either... there should be something you can remediate that explains this... my first thought is that it has something to do with DNS. Perhaps start by checking your Windows DNS settings against your Mac. If both Mac and PC are using the router as the DNS, then perhaps it has something to do with IPv6.