3 Way Bootcamp? (OSX, Win 7, Win 8)

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by StealthGhost, Sep 1, 2013.

1. StealthGhost macrumors regular

I have OSX and Win7 using bootcamp on my 2010 13 MBP, I'd like to try Windows 8 on a 3rd partition.

Bootcamp assistant seems to just want to restore my OSX partition rather than let me add a new one. Any idea?

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Bootcamp won't do triple boot, so you need to manually create a partition for the third OS. Not something I'd do to be honest, but it is possible.

3. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

If you already have Windows 7 on there, you will need to shrink your HFS partition in Disk Utility and not use the Boot Camp Assistant. Once you have it shrunk, you will have some additional free space between the Macintosh HD partition and the Windows 7 partition. During Windows 8 Setup, you will need to format this partition as NTFS. Or you can just select the free space during Setup and Windows 8 Setup will automatically create the NTFS partition there and install.

4. StealthGhost thread starter macrumors regular

Pretty much what I was going to try. Will it give me the option to boot into Windows 8 when I hold down the Option key upon startup, showing me all 3 options or how will I get into it?

5. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

Yes. You should see Macintosh HD, Windows, and Windows on the boot picker.