3 Week Old Macbook Air - Grey Screen/Corrupted OS?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Bigrockfarmwv, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Bigrockfarmwv macrumors newbie

Help!! Purchased the Macbook Air about 3 weeks ago. Today, while daughter was using internet, it made an "errr" noise a bunch of times then stopped. Then "server not responding came up" and she shut the lid. When she reopened it, had a grey screen (with some lines on the screen, there is a blinking line that runs the length of the screen and a line that will move back and forth when I move my finger on the trackpad) and now that's all we can get. Called GeekSquad and they said it may be a corrupted operating system?? Any thoughts and or help would be appreciated. We lived in the middle of nowhere (nearest Best Buy is 3 hours away and Genius Bar is about 7). Thanks, Stacy

2. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

You can reinstall the operating system by going into recovery mode. Hold Command + R when booting up the machine. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

There are also options to check and repair the disk.

Since this is a brand new machine you have 90 days of phone support (unless you bought the 3 years option) and can call in and get advice that way.

Either way, server not responding doesn't seem like it has anything to do with a gray screen and a computer refusing to start up. To me it seems like a hardware problem. If I were you I would phone support.