3 weeks into Mac. I am missing PC.

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by whohasaquestion, Sep 19, 2011.

1. whohasaquestion macrumors 6502

Don't get me wrong, I love some of the features on Mac and the multi-touch experience is second to none. But there are a few things on Lion that really irks me...and I think they are really easy to fix but apple for some reason, just doesn't want to support them.

1. Cut and Paste as right-click option. Not difficult to understand. Drag and drop just doesn't work as well.

2. Wireless issue. MBA has to be connected wirelessly. We know it, Apple knows it. How can Lion/safari/whatever have problem with memory leak and constant spinning ball in Safari? C'mon, get it right, OUT OF BOX!

3. Dock doesn't work as well as Win 7 taskbar. Better than Vista's but not the 7's.

4. I like file management. I like to keep and view my file in folders...in Lion, this is somewhat difficult to do. I guess the Apple design doesn't want you to work on file, but rather on tasks. They don't want you to think what file is saved in which folder....but sorry, that's how my mind works.

Maybe given another 3 weeks I will become more accustomed to Mac, but as of now, I miss PC.

2. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Don't worry, I still miss PC after 1 year in using Mac. You'll get used to it, though some bits are very annoying.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

That's legitimate, especially a few things with Lion. To me, Snow Leopard makes more sense, is more intuitive and better to use.

4. DMVillain macrumors 6502a

I can't help you with most of that, but if you set your gestures to 3 finger drag copying and pasting becomes a lot easier

5. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

What specific wireless issues are you having? Memory leaks with Safari (which every other browser also has issues with) is not related to what connection method you are using.

Wireless has always worked perfectly out of the box for me.

6. whohasaquestion thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I started a thread about this. Watch the video:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1230515&highlight=

Now, I've used OpenDNS, and thing seems to have gotten better. (On Chrome, Safari is still slow).

7. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I have been using both for 2 years now and still mac has it's issues. I would not want it to move files around much and to do real work on. I find it slower to do simple things sometimes.
    Mac's are not perfect like I see claimed here. Like browsers never seem to work as well on a mac firefox 's addons don't always work right or at all. like dragging and dropping files in a folder with files. can't hit the delete button x dos not close an app. my UPS does not make software for the mac you stuck with what comes with it.

8. wikus macrumors 68000

wikus

You shouldnt be using 'the finder' regardless. Its pretty crap compared to a real alternative;

http://totalfinder.binaryage.com/

Not only does it fully support cut/copy/paste but it also gives you the added benefit of TABS in the finder.

9. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I don't understand your points 1 and 4. Copy, cut, and paste are right click options. Or maybe you mean for moving files? In that case, yeah I understand. Dragging and dropping makes sense to me now, but I know where you're coming from.

I have to file a lot of stuff too, but I find Mac OS, Lion as much as any other OSX, easier to use than Windows. Are you using the list view or Cover Flow in finder? Those are both horrendous in my opinion (one reason I did not like OS 9~ or 8). Column view is the way to go.

Or maybe you'd prefer an app called PathFinder? http://www.cocoatech.com/

I didn't find it too helpful, actually, but maybe it's right for your needs. However, as a file management person, you might start to use tags. Tagging is much better in fact. I use a program called Yep! for managing pdfs and other documents. If you file other sorts of things, the same company's program Leap might be better for you: http://yepthat.com/

Hope that's helpful!

10. jameslmoser macrumors 6502

There are some alternatives or addons that will do what your looking for, some already mentioned. I personally use the spring feature and drag them over the hard drive/folder and make my way to the desired destination. Showing the Finder path bar helps with that some times.

If you are not already familiar with snow leopard and your Mac is compatible, I would highly recommend "upgrading" to Snow Leopard. Lion is just not ready and many of it's features are not well thought out.

11. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

You an always install Windows on Bootcamp. That way you'll never be without Windows. =)

12. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

I have BootCamp & Parallels 7, so I can boot into Windows 7 natively or I can run it as a VM. :)

13. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

I use VMWare, I like the whole unity thing they have going on. :)

14. satkin2 macrumors regular

1: Cmd+C to cut or copy, cmd + v - copy/paste, cmd + option + v move/paste it takes some getting used to, compared to ctrl+x, ctrl+c, ctrl+v, but it makes sense once you get used to it.

2: Sounds like an issue with your system, I'd get in touch with Apple if I was you.

3: That's a personal choice really, click and hold on the icon and you can choose to see the open windows, much like hovering over in windows 7. The good part is the bouncing icons though, i really notice the lack of acknowledgement with windows apps now. You end up opening multiple windows thinking it hasn't registered, at least the bounce in the dock lets you know its doing something.

4: Change your Finder default to Home rather than All My Files, it makes file management much easier.

15. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

I totally disagree with this.
    Not only Lion features are overall an improvement over SL (thank God!), but it's really the worst advice to give someone who does not have the SL habits to jeopardize their Lion experience to suggest them to downgrade.
    Moreover, none of the quirks mentioned above are related to the changes Lion brought over SL.

To OP: today you miss Windows, and I can understand that, there's a learning curve to completely switch your thinking to Mac OS and unlearning the Windows way (though I'm doing that everyday as I have Windows at work and Mac at home :D). But I promise you: in 1 month or so, try using a Windows laptop; all you'll want to do is to throw it away through the window (pun intended!)

16. ZipZap macrumors 601

Its the same dam product as lion.

17. ZipZap macrumors 601

I've had a mac for a while and I dont feel its OS is better than Windows. In fact, the Mac OS is no where near as productive as windows (which is why you dont find apples in use in most business settings).

Apple's OS is not key, its their approach to applications. I find it easier to use applications on the mac (and yes that is due in part to some things the OS does inheirently). But overall, the Mac OS is not that great. AND its going to get worse as Apple moves more to the iOS approach.

In my experience, I find that Apple has passed on productivity features purely because their rival Microsoft uses them. God forbid they do the same thing as Windows even though windows is the defacto standard.

Finally, IMHO no one should have to unlearn Windows to use a Mac productively.

18. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I workd on OSX for 1.5 years now and still the biggest shortcomings are finder and the dock.
    The dock simple refuses to do anything useful but look fancy. Windows Taskbar shows you information about download, file transfer progress. It show how many windows are open and set to combine if full it even has the title showing advantage of the old taskbar.
    Do it like me set the Dock to hide automatically CMD+option+D. Use mostly Alfred, keyboard Shortcuts, gestures or Expose to switch apps. I use Dock only to check which apps are running. Even as a launcher Alfred is the better choice.

Finder is the other problem. Replace it with Pathfinder that introduces some other small problems but for file management and in general behavior and usability it is worlds better.
    Still using Alfred to open often used folders is the fastest an best way.

As for Safari. Why do you use it. This browser offers nothing really good and has quite a few shortcomings. Use a decent browser like Opera or slim fast one like Chrome, or FF if you like it but even IE is way better than Safari in my book.

Cut/Paste is implemented with cmd+X in almost any app and if you miss it in Finder again use pathfinder.

Alfred, BetterTouchTool and pathfinder will make using OSX much better than Windows. If you have a folder structure in your head there still is no need to click through to reach it. Set Alfred to replace Spotlight and move that one to option+CMD and all you need to do for frequent folders is typ "mov" movie or whatever usually two or three keystrokes is enough to get almost anywhere. Unlike Spotlight Alfred remembers what you want and gets you quicker to your destination each time you use it. Spotlight treats every search the same and it ranks the same thing highest everytime even if you you want the 3rd item or the 10th anytime you typ a given search term.

19. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"Cut and Paste as right-click option. Not difficult to understand."

Not sure what you're asking/complaining about.

I "right clicked" on the excerpt from your original post (above) and had the option to "copy" in the contextual menu that appeared.

I then opened a blank document using Text Edit, positioned my mouse pointer "over" the document, right-clicked, got the option "paste" in a contextual menu, and pasted the text excerpt into my document.

Again, what are you talking about, above?

20. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

That's a bold statement. It would be good that you Back it up with objective, practical arguments.

The fundamental behaviors of the Mac OS have been typically unchanged since the first Macintosh was released. Things have been added, optimized and so on, but the famous "touch & feel" is oh, so recognizable, version after version. It's Windows that copied a lot from the Mac in the first place.
    When you move from one system to another, it's inevitable that you unlearn stuff.
    The multitouch gestures of the modern Mac are absolutely mind-blowing and well thought out. You can't find the same in Windows world yet (maybe it will start with Windows 8). Stuff like spaces and expose have been around for years with the Mac.

----------

He's talking about moving files.

21. binghelang macrumors newbie

You'll get used to it, though some bits are very annoying.

You'll get used to it, though some bits are very annoying. :D

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My situation was the opposite. I built a PC and loaded win7. While not a bad OS, I missed some of the things that OSX did better. I eventually loaded OSX onto it, turning it into a hackintosh. :)

23. logandzwon macrumors 6502a

I completely agree. However, many people have already learned poor, confusing habits from their past experiences being forced to use windows.

24. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Learn key commands. Your life will improve. If not go back to Windows. We have enough users now. I want to go back to niche anyway, where the real innovation lies. Users ruin things.

25. wikus macrumors 68000

wikus

This.

Is the reason why I keep quiet about being a mac user.