3 weeks on, how's the black leather case holding up?

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I see that the coloured cases aren't holding up well - darkening on the edges?
How about the black leather? The 5s black leather case held up very well after a year...
Any fraying of the leather? Peeling?

map1978

macrumors 68020
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
I don't know why people are talking about discoloring like it was unexpected, but my black leather case is flawless. Soft leather, great grip, very soft tactile buttons, and super snug fit. Such a clean look with the slate gray 6+

All 3 Spigen cases I got before my phone are all back in the mail for a refund

No signs of wear at all

My black 5s leather case lasted forever. Reviewed tons of case for the 5s and always went back to the apple leather case.

Hoping the 6+ leather case gets the same usage - have a good feeling it will

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
How's the red leather holding up for people? I'm actually hoping that it will darken up a bit over time. Become a little more Georgia Bulldawg red

richxps

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2008
Black is holding well my 5s black still looks fine after 8 months.

uiop.

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Not black, but my olive brown is starting to wear and I love it. Getting darker/shiner around the edges. Most people would be irritated, but I think its cool and can't wait to see what it looks like a few months from now. I'd imagine the black will wear similar.

Last edited:

darknight007316

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2009
I'm thinking about trading my midnight blue for black. Then again with time it will probably end up black anyway...

questionmark32

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
I've had no issues with my black leather case! It's still in great shape and there has been no changes in color. I constantly switch between it and my Spigen Neo Hybrid.

drew0020

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2006
Mine is good except it has those blisters. Gonna call apple for a replacement.

madanagopal

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2014
3 weeks on, how's the black leather case holding up?

Still confused if I should get a red/black/brown leather case for the space grey iphone plus.

Happen to see a iphone 5s with red case that was aged and it looked so perfect.

madanagopal

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2014
Not black, but my olive brown is starting to wear and I love it. Getting darker/shiner around the edges. Most people would be irritated, but I think its cool and can't wait to see what it looks like a few months from now. I'd imagine the black will wear similar.

Hi can you shared your brown case pics

frozzbite

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2011
The case is really nice out of the box. To the point that I feel that the leather itself is too delicate. I can't just leave it on the table during meals, because of potential water contact.

When I go for runs, I have to make sure sweat doesn't get to it.

On normal days, I have to make sure my pocket is clear of anything that might scratch it.

It's only been 3 days, and I feel blisters coming up and the bottom seems to have a very small peel which I am wondering how to repair.

Beautiful case. Probably too beautiful to withstand daily use. At $60, it's just too tiring to baby it all the time.

Leejaymes

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2014
The case is really nice out of the box. To the point that I feel that the leather itself is too delicate. I can't just leave it on the table during meals, because of potential water contact.

When I go for runs, I have to make sure sweat doesn't get to it.

On normal days, I have to make sure my pocket is clear of anything that might scratch it.

It's only been 3 days, and I feel blisters coming up and the bottom seems to have a very small peel which I am wondering how to repair.

Beautiful case. Probably too beautiful to withstand daily use. At $60, it's just too tiring to baby it all the time.
Bro, what's the color of your case?
I'm currently using the PSAJ. Thinking about getting the black leather.

Shark5150

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2014
Dallas, Texas
On all of the apple leather cases, do not get even remotely wet or put down on even a little bit of wet counter. They immediately 'bubble up' and blister. Many many posts out there about this. Seems the leather loses its bond or something. Apple apparently exchanges these without issue tho. That's a deal breaker for me. Chances of a few drops of water on cases is common. This shouldn't ruin a case IMO.

Leejaymes

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2014
On all of the apple leather cases, do not get even remotely wet or put down on even a little bit of wet counter. They immediately 'bubble up' and blister. Many many posts out there about this. Seems the leather loses its bond or something. Apple apparently exchanges these without issue tho. That's a deal breaker for me. Chances of a few drops of water on cases is common. This shouldn't ruin a case IMO.
They exchange it even outside the 14 day window?

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Been using the black leather case since launch day. It still looks and feels great. Had some of the "bubbling" referred to here - but it goes away by itself.

I tried an experiment: I put a drop of water on the back of the case. After 5 minutes the leather had completely absorbed the water and swollen up in a raised circle. After a few hours, the water had evaporated and the swelling had practically gone (there was a faint ring where it had been). It's now 3-4 days later and there is no trace whatsoever. It looks like new.

Keeping this case.

drew0020

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2006
Been using the black leather case since launch day. It still looks and feels great. Had some of the "bubbling" referred to here - but it goes away by itself.

I tried an experiment: I put a drop of water on the back of the case. After 5 minutes the leather had completely absorbed the water and swollen up in a raised circle. After a few hours, the water had evaporated and the swelling had practically gone (there was a faint ring where it had been). It's now 3-4 days later and there is no trace whatsoever. It looks like new.

Keeping this case.
My bubbling hasn't gone away. I dont recall it getting wet either. I am exchanging for a new black leather case. If it happens again then I am going with the silicone version.