3 weeks on, how's the black leather case holding up?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by teknikal90, Oct 4, 2014.

1. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

I see that the coloured cases aren't holding up well - darkening on the edges?
    How about the black leather? The 5s black leather case held up very well after a year...
    Any fraying of the leather? Peeling?

2. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

I don't know why people are talking about discoloring like it was unexpected, but my black leather case is flawless. Soft leather, great grip, very soft tactile buttons, and super snug fit. Such a clean look with the slate gray 6+

All 3 Spigen cases I got before my phone are all back in the mail for a refund

No signs of wear at all

My black 5s leather case lasted forever. Reviewed tons of case for the 5s and always went back to the apple leather case.

Hoping the 6+ leather case gets the same usage - have a good feeling it will

3. THE JUICEMAN macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

How's the red leather holding up for people? I'm actually hoping that it will darken up a bit over time. Become a little more Georgia Bulldawg red

4. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

Black is holding well my 5s black still looks fine after 8 months.

5. uiop., Oct 11, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2014

uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Not black, but my olive brown is starting to wear and I love it. Getting darker/shiner around the edges. Most people would be irritated, but I think its cool and can't wait to see what it looks like a few months from now. I'd imagine the black will wear similar.

6. darknight007316 macrumors member

I'm thinking about trading my midnight blue for black. Then again with time it will probably end up black anyway...

7. enzo thecat macrumors 6502

enzo thecat

My black case on my 6 Plus still looks practically new. Been using it since launch day

8. questionmark32 macrumors regular

I've had no issues with my black leather case! It's still in great shape and there has been no changes in color. I constantly switch between it and my Spigen Neo Hybrid.

9. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

Mine is good except it has those blisters. Gonna call apple for a replacement.

10. Leejaymes macrumors member

Any other reviews from you guys? I'm still thinking whether to get this or not.

11. madanagopal macrumors member

3 weeks on, how's the black leather case holding up?

Still confused if I should get a red/black/brown leather case for the space grey iphone plus.

Happen to see a iphone 5s with red case that was aged and it looked so perfect.

12. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Not a review but this is the best case I have ever had. Feels so great holding it. Wears beautifully so far. Thin. Light. Still has the Apple logo, etc.

13. madanagopal macrumors member

Hi can you shared your brown case pics

14. frozzbite macrumors member

The case is really nice out of the box. To the point that I feel that the leather itself is too delicate. I can't just leave it on the table during meals, because of potential water contact.

When I go for runs, I have to make sure sweat doesn't get to it.

On normal days, I have to make sure my pocket is clear of anything that might scratch it.

It's only been 3 days, and I feel blisters coming up and the bottom seems to have a very small peel which I am wondering how to repair.

Beautiful case. Probably too beautiful to withstand daily use. At $60, it's just too tiring to baby it all the time.

15. Leejaymes macrumors member

Bro, what's the color of your case?
    I'm currently using the PSAJ. Thinking about getting the black leather.

16. ZipZap macrumors 601

17. Shark5150 macrumors 6502a

Shark5150

On all of the apple leather cases, do not get even remotely wet or put down on even a little bit of wet counter. They immediately 'bubble up' and blister. Many many posts out there about this. Seems the leather loses its bond or something. Apple apparently exchanges these without issue tho. That's a deal breaker for me. Chances of a few drops of water on cases is common. This shouldn't ruin a case IMO.

18. TheUnforgiven macrumors member

No problems here at all. I love it more and more :apple:

19. Leejaymes macrumors member

They exchange it even outside the 14 day window?

20. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

1 year warranty would cover defects like bubbling.

21. frozzbite macrumors member

I got the black leather for the iPhone 6

22. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Been using the black leather case since launch day. It still looks and feels great. Had some of the "bubbling" referred to here - but it goes away by itself.

I tried an experiment: I put a drop of water on the back of the case. After 5 minutes the leather had completely absorbed the water and swollen up in a raised circle. After a few hours, the water had evaporated and the swelling had practically gone (there was a faint ring where it had been). It's now 3-4 days later and there is no trace whatsoever. It looks like new.

Keeping this case.

23. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

My bubbling hasn't gone away. I dont recall it getting wet either. I am exchanging for a new black leather case. If it happens again then I am going with the silicone version.