3 weeks with base-line retina mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by danpak610, Jul 13, 2012.

1. danpak610 macrumors newbie

Absolutely love it. Been going through the forums and seeing issues like case creaking, white spots, dead pixels, lag and I think i'm one of the lucky ones: all but lag are non-existant for me (more on lag in a bit).

First off, this is my first mac, so I have no prior experience with any other laptop. From a very non-chalant user's perspective, its great. It's markedly lighter than my previous laptop (an old Hp pavillion), runs incredibly cool and quiet as long as I'm not doing any gaming- seriously, the fan never kicks in- and the screen is brilliant. Colors are rich and of course everythings sharp, and after using it for a while and then looking at a friends 15 inch... there's really no way I could use something like that again. I love being able to use 1920x1200 on a 15 inch display. I can have a word document and anything else i need open side to side in the same panel.

Microsoft word isn't retina ready but actually doesn't look bad at all. It could be because I'm at a higher resolution, but it doesn't bother me. Then again, I'm not very nit-picky, and I could see how it could bother some people.

Now the lag. It is there, enough so that I notice it isn't as smooth as I expected. It is especially prevalent on some webpages, and resizing windows. It doesn't bother me, but I could see how it could bother other users, especially those who've used macs before. However I'm reading that ML fixes this, so that will soon be non-issue.

I have zero complaints. Very satisfied customer. Saved up four years to buy it, and feel my money was well-spent.

2. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

I don't have the best eyes, but I've found that I don't even notice the pixelation in Microsoft Word, Photoshop or QuarkXPress on the retina display. I mean, obviously the optimized stuff looks a lot better, but when you're sitting at a regular distance from the screen, the non-optimized stuff doesn't look any different than it did before. I was mildly concerned about it, but it really isn't an issue.

I don't notice lag, myself, but I'm coming from a 2008 MBP that would lag all the time, so maybe this one is but I don't notice it.

Any other issues people are complaining about, I'm not seeing. I did find it seemed the battery ran down quicker last night than I would expect, but it was the first time on battery power too, so I assume that will get better.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with this thing too. Just need to get my files moved over and see if I can handle using an external drive for my movies/pictures. But I think I'll deal with that just fine.

3. 01mggt macrumors 6502

Count me in this boat as well. Only have been abole to spend a couple hours with my machine, but they have been outstanding. No creaks rattles or pops and the screen so far has no imperfections. Has bene just as satisfying as all my other Apple purchases! I agree that the non-retina apps don't really seem bad. What couple I have used I wasn't really able to notice much difference from normal distance. Glad to hear others are loving th rmbp as much as I am :)