3 x 24" displays with 2 x HD 4870 cards?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by f92mlu, Mar 14, 2009.

1. f92mlu macrumors newbie

Hi!

I want to use 3 x 24" displays with my new MacPro I'm about to order. Is it possible with 2 x HD 4870 cards and no other card installed?

What actually happens if you install 1 x GT 120 and 1 x HD 4870? How will they work together with different tasks, does for instance playing of movies then go fast and smooth on one monitor, but less good on the others?

Is it even possible to have 2 x HD 4870 cards installed only? It doesn't seem like one can order a MacPro with 2 x HD 4870 only?

Thanks in advance for helping sort things out for me!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You can use one of each.

Two 4870 requires an external power supply.

3. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

You haven't made it clear if you are using 3 Apple LED ACDs or 3 regular DVI 24" displays. You need 3 graphics cards for the Apple displays, two and a Mini DisplayPort -> DVI apdater for normal 24" displays.

4. f92mlu thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your replies!

It is three DVI displays that I want to connect to the MacPro.

So then the problem boils down to if one can get the HD 4870 displays in the MacPro with no problems...or if I need an external power as suggested above...I keep reading different opinions about this...

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Configure your Mac Pro with a 4870 and put another GT 120 as standalone in your cart before you check out. Install the GT 120 when you get them both. They should work fine in tandem.

6. Wormy23 macrumors member

Just go with 1xGT120 and 1x4870. Mixing video card vendors isn't such a problem in MacOSX. It's in windows that it causes a problem.

If you have 3xDVI 24" displays, none of them are dual-link DVI's so you should be able to plug them into the DVI ports on each board, and get a "Mini DisplayPort to DVI" adapter from Apple for the 3rd DVI:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB570Z/A?mco=MzE2OTkyOA